Send Direct E-mail strange behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

When you use the Send Direct E-mail functionality in CRM 2011 towards a contact under these circumstances:

* Contact has Do not send email enabled
    * Contact has Do not send bulk email enabled
    * Contact doesn´t have primary email address
    * Contact has Parent Customer which has a primary email address

The Parent Customer gets the email which isn´t the best solution. How can I avoid that? Build a plugin registered on created emails or ??? I haven´t encountered on any configuration stopping this behavior.

The optional way for me should be when x number of contacts have been selected and sending a direct e-mail, the system should bypass the ones having no primary email addresses.

Best regards,
    Ragnar

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:11 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that if identify a set of contacts with Advanced Find using the bullet points that you specified as search criteria, a parent customer gets the email?

If so, that is most strange and sounds like a bug. Send Direct E-mail should only send to the list of contacts that you selected in a view. Is it possible that there are account records that have the same email address as some of your contact records?

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi Feridun,

The bulletins wasn´t meant to refer to Advanced Find search. Those for just settings for that exact user involved.
    Let´s say you have 5 contacts in a list and you send Direct Email to them
    1. Has email address
    2. Has no email address and with parent that doesn´t have email address
    3. Has no email address email address but with a parent that has an email address
    4. Has no email address and no parent
    5. Has email address

Here direct email works like this
    1. Sending direct email to his email address
    2. Doesn´t send the email
    3. Sending direct email to parent´s email address (THIS IS THE BEHAVIOUR WHICH I WANT TO AVOID)
    4. Doesn´t send the email
    5. Sending direct email to his email address

Regards,
    Ragnar

Monday, October 13, 2014 3:53 PM
  • I see what you mean. I just tried it on my CRM 2011 system and for your item 3) an email was generated for the parent of the contact. That I did not know!

That seems to explain something which I discovered a long time ago which is that using direct email to send to a contact requires at least read access on the Parent Customer record and I didn't know why.

I also tried it in my CRM 2013 test system and it does the same thing so this seems to be by design.

I don't know how you can stop this. Unless you are happy to remove the email address from the parent or to set Do Not Email options.

Monday, October 13, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for your brief reply again. If you try setting "Do Not Email" option to the contact. The emails seem to even go through (if the contact has a parent customer with an email address).

Strange I would say.

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Perhaps one to file with Microsoft?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:13 AM
  • I tried the plugin method but that didn´t work out the correct way.

My solution was creating a new button instead of ,,Send Direct E-mail", that button calls for a javascript function which checks the incoming list (selected Ids), and checks each contact whether he has a valid email address or not.
    If a contact has his email addresses empty then the javascript will alert it.
    If the contacts are all valid, then continue with the previous functionality that is selected the email template and sending the mail.

Regards

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:02 PM
  • That seems like a good solution. Thank you for sharing.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Not a problem, thanks for following this thread.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:38 PM