WHS on an SFF! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just wanted to share my frankenserver config:

Shuttle SFF case (seriously)

Celeron 2 GHz

Intel 845GE mobo

512 MB RAM

60 GB HD (the larger models are on the way)

Onboard Realtek NIC (100 Mbps)

Surprisingly, the system is very responsive - it's great to see such low hardware requirements on a server.  And it's actually pretty cool having the server inside the smallest case I own.  Anyone else going the SFF route?

I'll probably try a few USB drives, just to see how it all works together (and because I'm limited to only to internal drives).

Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:14 AM

All replies

• If you have larger drives on the way, I would treat your current install as a testbed. When the larger drive(s) arrive, rebuild your WHS with the largest drive as the primary. Especially in the beta WHS software, you'll experience less problems.

As for SFF, I'm thinking about building something like this eventually. Some of the parts they used aren't available any more (it's been a couple of years since that build) but the concept seems to be a good one. I'll skip the RAID, though. WHS has the potential to offer better performance with it's Drive Extender technology than the average consumer-grade RAID "solution".
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:21 PM
  • This is definitely just a test.  I didn't activate the software yet, so I'll be reinstalling on the larger drives when they arrive this week.  I just wanted to run through the install to make sure there weren't any problems with the other hardware in the box.

That's a great little server box.  My only concern would be heat buildup with that many drives in such a small enclosure.  If you go that route, make sure you have a good fan in there.

Good luck, and have fun!

Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:23 PM
  • yeah.  I can't imagine having five drives jammed in there like that and not cooking in short order.  I'd go for a drive enclosure with a fan like this one but then it definitely wouldn't fit in that micro case.

If someone does come up with a good drive enclosure / micro case combo, let us know.

Monday, March 5, 2007 12:10 AM