Tips for shooting pictures RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there a page posted that lists some basics tips for taking pictures that you plan to have included in either a photosynth or a panorama? Camera settings to use, how to stand, what to shoot, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• not sure about the regular synths (I couldn't get anything to work, nor do I like what these things do), but for panoramas, there are a few basic rules

use a tripod if you can, ideally with a good panorama head that lets you set a fixed overlap in degree increments. But if you don't have it, just make sure you leave ample overlap.

use fixed white balance, or if you shoot raw, process all images the same way in Camera Raw

same exposure for all frames (measure a good average, maybe bracket each shot if you want to mess with the images in HDR)

level shooting - especially if hand-holding, make sure you don't wander up and down and shoot a wave type row.

focus - manual focus if possible, especially with longer lenses and if there's stuff in the foreground that can throw off your focus.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:14 PM
  • I've tired to break it by violating the above suggestions and found it to perform magically well. I have even had it stitch frames that I thought I had shot from the same vantage point but it turns were shot from 20 feet or so from each other - ICE warped them to match things up - not well mind you but I can't say that it failed either.

I also through a total of 150 frames at 6 mp each in one stitch. It was much faster than I expected and the only problem it had was with a couple of frames that were all the same sky blue color with no features to match up with.

I would recommend keeping the frame count down to around 12 though just because it gets tough to manage a large number of pix - like which stitch do they belong with.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:49 PM