WHS Constantly Reboots RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I may have just shot myself in the foot. Ouch.

Running PP1. I wanted to run an Add-in that required .Net 3.5. So I uninstalled .Net 1.1 and installed 3.5. For whatever reason, I was then unable to access the Console from any PC on the network (network error message). So I uninstalled 3.5. When I tried to reinstall .Net 1.1, the system gave me a message stating that .Net 1.1 was already installed by default. I looked at the installed programs and it was not there so I rebooted.

The server now continuously reboots after a few seconds of sitting at the logon window.

So,

1. .Net is not installed

2. It reboots after about 10 seconds or so at the logon splash screen

Help!?

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:02 AM

Answers

• You will need to perform a server reinstallation to recover, I'm afraid.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:58 AM

All replies

• You will need to perform a server reinstallation to recover, I'm afraid.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:58 AM
  •  Jerry-Z wrote:

Well, I may have just shot myself in the foot. Ouch.

Running PP1. I wanted to run an Add-in that required .Net 3.5. So I uninstalled .Net 1.1 and installed 3.5. For whatever reason, I was then unable to access the Console from any PC on the network (network error message). So I uninstalled 3.5. When I tried to reinstall .Net 1.1, the system gave me a message stating that .Net 1.1 was already installed by default. I looked at the installed programs and it was not there so I rebooted.

The server now continuously reboots after a few seconds of sitting at the logon window.

So,

1. .Net is not installed

2. It reboots after about 10 seconds or so at the logon splash screen

Help!?

Jerry

Just out of curiosity, what add-in were you trying to install that required .NET 3.5?

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Ken, I was afraid you were going to tell me that. Ugh.

Kariya21, an upcoming version of LogPoint requires 3.5.

- Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Ken,

Reinstalling only gives me the "New Installation" option. How do I get the sytem to give me the "Reinstall" option?

Thanks.

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:30 PM
  • There are a couple of conditions for a successful reinstallation. The big one is that setup needs to see all of the drives that were installed in your server and part of the storage pool. The only exception is the system drive, which might be replaced if it fails.

I've never had a problem with server reinstallation, but a lot of the issues that I've seen tracked down come down to either a drive that isn't visible (i.e. drivers need to be installed), or (usually because of the way drives were added to the server) the original system drive is no longer the one that the BIOS is presenting as the first boot drive.

My honest opinion is that, if you poke around in your BIOS and everything seems right, you're better off pulling all the drives out of your server and copying the data off of them. Then put them back and do a new installation, supplying all required storage drivers twice (in the initial graphical setup, and again just after the reboot into text mode, at the "Press F6" prompt). Finally, copy all your data back to your server. I think it will take less time, and provide less frustration, than several cycles through trying to get the "server reinstallation" option to appear. This process means you'll be abandoning your backups, though.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:51 PM
  • The .NET Framework should allow 1.1 and 3.5 to exist side-by-side. As 1.1 is a component of Windows Server 2003, I'm not surprised removing it causes problems.

Reinstallation is the best option here
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Evaders99,

>Reinstallation is the best option here

Nope. Apparently the ONLY option. :-) Safe mode reboots too. Oh well.

Thanks.

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:04 PM
  • I have 4 300GB drives, 2 are on attached to the mother board and the other 2 are on a SATA expansion card. The boot drive is on the expansion card that requires drivers to be installed. So when I boot off the CD, the system sees 2 drives, and then I install the drivers and then it sees all four drives. However, the boot drive is seen as drive 3 (0-3). Do I have to reconfigure the drives so that the boot drive is drive 0 in order for the "reinstallation" to work?

I'd like to avoid having to migrate all of the data if at all possible.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Ok. Got "Server Reinstallation" working. Yeah!!!

The answer was that the WHS drive must be the first in the list (Drive 0) for Reinstallation to work. It has less to do with the BIOS as much as what physical connector the drive is plugged into for the BIOS to see. The confusion is that I can rearrange the drives in the BIOS to make any of the 4 the boot drive. The issue is that the drive must be the first drive in the chain from a motherboard perspective. Drive 0, device 0, etc. The WHS drive had been moved to the SATA expansion card at some point, and therefore was being seen as drive 3.

Thanks Ken. Your email got me thinking in the right direction.

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Well, I thought I had this solved. Now when I reach the text page and it asks me to press F6 to install the drivers, it ignores me pressing F6 and says that it can't load the Ulata drivers. Ugh.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Try again. And again. You must use a floppy disk at the "Press F6" prompt, by the way... The window for success is small, but the rewards are great. (Hmm. Remind me not to write any more technology-oriented koan-like aphorisms...)
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:02 PM
  • This is getting fairly frustrating. I loaded the drivers on the floppy and am still getting the same thing. I can see the system accessing the floppy drive but it doesn't appear to find the file. So, I'm thinking that the way I copied the data to the floppy is wrong.

1. I've tried copying just the files from the winxp folder to the floppy. No good. (contains ulsata.sys, ulsata.cat, ulsata.inf and ptpbm.dll)

2. I tried copying the whole winxp folder to the floppy containing the 4 files. No good.

3. I tried copying the .oem file and ULSATA file and the winxp folder. No good.

Ok, what am I missing now? I feel so dumb.

Jerry

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:29 PM
  • You need to prepare your F6 floppy following the manufacturer's instructions, which (often, since they may be written by someone for whom English is not their first language) may not be perfectly clear.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Ken,

Did what you suggested. Downloaded and unzipped the manuf drivers and unzipped to the floppy. All the files are on the floppy, seemingly as they should be. Same issue still occurs. Pressing F6 has no effect. The WHS reinstall next asks to press F2 for ASR. I did that just to check that they system recognizes the keypress, and it does. I can hear the floppy heads click when I press F6, so there's still something that WHS doesn't like about the drivers on the disk.

Anything I should look for about the format of the floppy (FAT, etc)?

Sorry to pester you with this as it seems to be more of a Server 2003 issue than a WHS issue.

By the way, I switch the boot drive to a Win XP OS from WHS in order to download and write the files to the floppy, so the floppy is being written to the same drive as it is being read from.

Edited: There was a very similar problem to this using the exact same drive and controller hardware, on posting http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=2444005&siteid=50&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

However, the resolution was to have the drivers on an IDE floppy, which I have. Only mine is not working. I've even loaded the drivers into the appropriate folder on the WHS boot drive (both $Win_NT$.~BT\$OEM$\WinXP and $OEM$\WinXP) with no success. Although, before doing this I was getting error code 14 and now I'm getting error code 18.

I've tried hitting the F6 key once and many times, and holding it down, with no success.

2nd edit: The strange thing about this is that when I first ran the installation CD to reinstall WHS, I had to install the Maxtor SATA150 controller drivers (from a CD) so that it could find the 2 SATA drives on the controller. They are the same drivers. Worked from the CD but not the floppy. Hmmm. ???

Jerry

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:07 AM