none
Why is the Search Function of the MS-WIN 7 forums such GARBAGE? RRS feed

• Question

• If I post a Windows 7 issue in any of the Windows 7 forums it will not be found.
    If I limit the search to the Windows 7 forums, the search function will come back with Vista & XP questions/posts from completely different areas.
    This is by far the most frustrating web site forum I have EVER participated in.

A prime example is that I'm asking a question in the Windows 7 Miscellaneous forum and after typing the title the Search function auto listed the following:
    Suggested Answers We've found questions similar to yours. Please review these links and see if your question has already been answered. Links will open in a new window.
    Might I SUGGEST you have someone look at the forum search ability and FIX it so that it actually works? Things that would improve the current search.
    - autolimit to current forum
    - IF there is nothing in current forum AND person has selected "All Win 7 Forums", break down 'autosuggestions' to show that they are in different forums and, if applicable, regarding different operation systems.
    - fix the search of this site so that it actually finds what is listed?  i.e. I can make a post and 'search' for it by listed 2/3rds of the post title and it won't find it. Searching from the posted forum or all Windows 7 forums will not find it. Finds totally different operating systems, forums, posts or just nothing....!!!

As it stands, it wouldn't surprise me if I did an Audit (I'm the Senior Quality Assurance Mngr in my job) and found that there is a massive amount of duplication simply due to search failures.  I would also verify if different browsers somehow affect search parameters (highly unlikely but now days...never know).
    For the record, I'm using Firefox 3.5 beta 5 nightly builds on Windows 7 RC 1 32 bit.
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:12 PM Focus (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:04 PM

Answers

• Use this link to report technical issues for forums.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=8132825
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

I see a couple of issues posted here.

1) Searching against all Windows 7 Forums
    2) Searching against Windows 7 Miscellaneous
    3) Search results from Windows 7 Miscellaneous Forums "while" starting a new thread.

I'd like to get specifics from the above so we can look into this further.

- What query words / Thread Title you have as input for all the points mentioned above?
    - If you go directly to live search (www.live.com), type in the following and see if you get the same result sets (live search v.s. search page results)

All Windows 7 Forums:

(<your query words>) (language:en) (site:forums.microsoft.com/technet OR site:forums.technet.microsoft.com OR site:social.technet.microsoft.com/forums OR site:forums.iis.net) (meta:Search.MSForums.GroupID(6acaa43a-f435-41fb-b68a-b44ccab4c2f4))

Windows 7 Miscellaneous

(<your query words>) (language:en) (site:forums.microsoft.com/technet OR site:forums.technet.microsoft.com OR site:social.technet.microsoft.com/forums OR site:forums.iis.net) (meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(618bdaf1-c8d4-4055-970d-dd63abbe04db))

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Our system is down. Please wait 24 hours.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

• I noticed this behavior as well and there is probably something wrong with the system at this time that needs maintenence becouse I have bean able to search the forums in the past with success.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Use this link to report technical issues for forums.

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=8132825
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:04 AM
  • If you have a question, you go to a forum.  If you want to search, you go to Google.  Use the site: selector.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:49 AM
  • This is the same behaviour as I am seeing in the CRM forums, I have recieved a post back saying they are looking in to it.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I see a couple of issues posted here.

1) Searching against all Windows 7 Forums
    2) Searching against Windows 7 Miscellaneous
    3) Search results from Windows 7 Miscellaneous Forums "while" starting a new thread.

I'd like to get specifics from the above so we can look into this further.

- What query words / Thread Title you have as input for all the points mentioned above?
    - If you go directly to live search (www.live.com), type in the following and see if you get the same result sets (live search v.s. search page results)

All Windows 7 Forums:

(<your query words>) (language:en) (site:forums.microsoft.com/technet OR site:forums.technet.microsoft.com OR site:social.technet.microsoft.com/forums OR site:forums.iis.net) (meta:Search.MSForums.GroupID(6acaa43a-f435-41fb-b68a-b44ccab4c2f4))

Windows 7 Miscellaneous

(<your query words>) (language:en) (site:forums.microsoft.com/technet OR site:forums.technet.microsoft.com OR site:social.technet.microsoft.com/forums OR site:forums.iis.net) (meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(618bdaf1-c8d4-4055-970d-dd63abbe04db))

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I'll betchya it's buggin'.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Update from my last thread I just did a technet search and it worked wonderfully so someone did something or it had the intelligence to heal itself.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Isn't that a problem in and of itself?  I talked to some of the forum developers at the MVP summit and the Live search engine was causing lots of problems.

With such a marketing push on Live/Bing the embedded search engine really has to perform better.  Using a competitor's web search to find solutions within Microsoft's own community forums just looks terrible and I cringe when I think about.  IMO, getting the Forums search to work correctly and consistently should be the development team's #1 goal.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Our system is down. Please wait 24 hours.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Good to know. Thanks. Content indexing is probably up to date with Live
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Bing, that is.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 11:10 PM