I cant run the windows product key update RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my laptop last week with a French Windows then I changed for an english one yesterday.

When I boot my computer I have the message that I may have have been victim of a software conterfeiting. So I went on the product key update page to register my Windows.

It seems that there is still files of my french windows on my computer because it promts a french web page and if I download and run the program I get an error message saying that this Windows update key tool is not the appropriate one.

It push me the french one but I should get the Windows XP Media Center edition 2002 (english version). I have the sp2.

Could you send me the right update software? It is a + - 500 kb tool

Thanks

Eric

Sunday, April 1, 2007 2:19 PM

Answers

• Eric,

The Product Key Updater utility only works for XP Home and XP Pro.  It does not work with Tablet Edition or Media Center Edition.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:40 PM
  • thehunger:

I would recommend that you use the original media your computer manufacturer sent with your laptop to reinstall your operating system. Or you can take your computer back to the repair shop to correctly repair the laptop.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:53 AM

All replies

• Eric,

The Product Key Updater utility only works for XP Home and XP Pro.  It does not work with Tablet Edition or Media Center Edition.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Thanks Mark

Initially I had the media edition and I still have the XP media edition, the only difference is I now have the english(vs french). Is there a software for XP Media English for the product key update because I cant get it myself? It push me an incompatible version(french)

Eric

Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Eric,

The Product Key Updater does not work with Media Center Edition, regardless of the language.

You can change the Product Key by running a repair reinstallation.  However, a repair might not work if you are "in between" one language and another; in such case you might need to backup and then do a clean installation.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:13 PM
  • I have the same problem. I had a guy reinstall windows XP tablet edition on my pc and when he installed it he used a compromised product key even though I have a legit key on the bottom of my computer. The update tool doesn't work on tablet so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to change the product key to the correct one. Any thoughts?
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 5:14 AM
  • thehunger:

I would recommend that you use the original media your computer manufacturer sent with your laptop to reinstall your operating system. Or you can take your computer back to the repair shop to correctly repair the laptop.

-phil

Thursday, April 5, 2007 7:53 AM