Cannot access Dashboard from any computer in the Network [WHS 2011 RTM] RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this in the Home Server Software forum but got no response, hopefully will get one here.

I'm having an issue with Windows Home Server 2011 RTM.
    The server has been working fantastically well for the last 2 weeks but yesterday it started with a problem.

When I open the Dashboard on one of the computers in the network, I enter the password and it shows me the following error:

Photobucket

I can access the Dashboard if I Remote Desktop directly into the server and then open the Dashboard from the server's desktop.

I can also access it if I go to my remote access site and then click connect to my server. This provides the same interface as the standard Dashboard link.

I have tried reinstalling the connector software but I get the following error:

1. Does not find the server - I have to manually enter the name or IP address of the server:

Server Not Found

2. Asks for the password to the server, if I enter the incorrect it shows me an error, meaning it IS connecting to the server:

Asking for password.

Incorrect Password

3. Once I enter the correct password it produces the following error:

Cannot Connect to Server

So yesterday I was doing a little bit of fiddling, and enabled Aero for the Remote Desktop connection. (I followed this post: http://sunmaiblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/configure-remote-desktop-service-for-windows-server-2008-r2/). The Dashboard worked (as it was still connected) and it was only later that the connection dropped (think my router rebooted) and it would not connect.

All that was changed is the 'Allow Desktop Compositing' group policy and Audio and Video playback in tsconfig.msc were enabled. I can'ts see how that would've messed it up.
    I have now disabled all of those options but it has not helped.

Some assistances would be GREATLY appreciated. This is the time I wish there was System Restore for the server :(

Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:51 PM

All replies

• I also found this in the logs:

(Had to delete the existing logs before anything showed up)

[5824] 110422.164332.5845: ClientSetup: Call MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
    [5824] 110422.164333.2920: ClientSetup: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus had errors: ErrorCatalog:ProviderNotAvailable ErrorCode:-1
    BaseException: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.MachineIdentityException: MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.MachineIdentityManager.GetMachineStatus(String serverName, String userName, String password, String machineName, Boolean& isAdmin)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.ValidateUserTask.Run(WizData data)
    [5824] 110422.164333.2925: ClientSetup: Exiting ValidateUserTask.Run
    [5824] 110422.164333.2925: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.ValidateUser has TaskStatus=Failed
    [5824] 110422.164333.2925: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.ValidateUser has RebootStatus=NoReboot
    [5824] 110422.164333.2925: ClientSetup: Exting ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
    [2128] 110422.164333.2995: ClientSetup: JoinNetwork Tasks returned TaskStatus=Failed
    [2128] 110422.164339.7705: ClientSetup: Back from the Client Deployment Wizard
    [2128] 110422.164339.7740: ClientSetup: Saving Wizard Data
    [2128] 110422.164339.7785: ClientSetup: End of ClientDeploy: ErrorCode=1603

EDIT:

In the supportedOS file I see the following:

<SupportedConfigurations>

<SupportedOS>
    <!-- Name is not used by the code but might be helpful in identifying the OS that is described by these parameters -->
    <!-- ExcludedSuite, RequiredSuite, and RequiredProductType are the numbers as specified in the OSVERSIONINFOEX structure -->
    <!-- Architecture is the number as specified in the SYSTEM_INFO structure -->
    <OS id="1" Name="Windows XP SP3, x86" Major="5" Minor="1" Build="2600" SPMajor="3" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>
    <OS id="2" Name="Windows Vista SP2, x86" Major="6" Minor="0" Build="6002" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>
    <OS id="3" Name="Windows Vista SP2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="0" Build="6002" SPMajor="2" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="9"/>
    <OS id="4" Name="Windows 7, x86" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="0" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="0"/>
    <OS id="5" Name="Windows 7, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="0" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="1" Architecture="9"/>
    <OS id="6" Name="Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64" Major="6" Minor="1" Build="7600" SPMajor="1" SPMinor="" ExcludedSuite="" RequiredSuite="" RequiredProductType="3" Architecture="9"/>
    </SupportedOS>
    <SupportedFX>
    <!-- Name is not used by the code but might be helpful in identifying the Framework that is described by these parameters -->
    <!-- Frameworks versions have format of a.b.c.d, a = major, b = minor, c = build, d = servicepack -->
    <FX id="1" Name=".Net Framework 4.0" Major="4" Minor="0" Build="" SPMajor="0" InstallPath="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full" InstallKey="Install" SPKey="Servicing"/>
    </SupportedFX>
    <SupportedPS>
    <!-- Name is not used by the code but might be helpful in identifying the PowerShell version that is described by these parameters -->
    <!-- PowerShell versions have format of a.b.c.d, a = major, b = minor, c = build d = servicepack -->
    <PS id="1" Name="PowerShell v2.0" Major="2" Minor="0" Build="" SPMajor=""/>
    </SupportedPS>
    < /SupportedConfigurations>

Under Windows 7, there is now service pack. Could this be a reason for it not working?

Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Have changed the SPMajor but still not working.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:52 PM