Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• My pc's are being backup via Windows Home Server, any plans for OneCare to to communicate with Windows Home Server?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:45 AM

Answers

• You can turn off One Care backup and just use WHS backup or you can use WHS as a destination for One Care backups.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 4:13 AM

All replies

• You can turn off One Care backup and just use WHS backup or you can use WHS as a destination for One Care backups.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 4:13 AM
  • I'm one the Home Server beta as well and I think someone should write a note on the pro's and con's of both backup options. I haven't used OneCare's backup.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 9:35 AM
  • Thanks, I am doing that currently.  It would be nice if OneCare was smart enough to detect that backups are being performed via another mechanism.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 11:12 AM
  • OneCare's backup is good if you want to backup file types. It is also good if you back up to an external disk or CD/DVD and need to restore those files to another PC. The major benefit for OneCare's backup is for someone who does not otherwise backup.

If you invest in Windows Home Server, it performs a *full* system backup of multiple PCs, meaning that you can plug in a new hard drive after a failure, boot up the PC with the PC Restore CD, connect to the WHS and completely restore your PC to the last backup from WHS over the network.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:41 PM
  • I have to agree with some of the sentiments expressed here. OneCare should automatically detect Home Server is being used as the backup mechanism, and should ask the user if it wants to disable OneCare's built in backup device.

Usually microsoft applications are tightly knit and work together seamlessly. This should be no exception.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:23 PM
  • One Care does detect WHS and does recommend disabling One Care backup.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:26 PM
  • excellent. was just browsing the forums. i am going to install home server beta on a spare computer in my house very soon. i'm looking forward to seeing how it works. this is good news.
    Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Just a quick note. When you install the beta and you open the GUI for the first time, you will see underactions to take "configure backup". In the details of that action item is the text relating to WHS. This is the only time you will see this.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:42 PM
  •  

If WHS is installed and doing backup, OneCare recognizes that and informs the user that already backing up to WHS. The user can use OneCare backup as well or turn off the OneCare backup. This happens once.
    Friday, August 3, 2007 10:02 AM
  • <P align=left><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi all i beg to differ with some of your replys I was involved in both the onecare and whs betas and i hope the WHS rtm fixes some glaring bugs. I have external Drives (Maxtor 3200) on both my desktop running Vista ultimate. and on my WHS pc. I have a TB of storage on my server with 500 gig being used.I set up OC to backup to my WHS server and the server reports back to OC that i only have 54 gig available. What makes it worse is OC does not reconize my USB External Maxtor drive so i cant back up to their. Only WHS continues to BU my systems.I have to admit this only happened when i installed OC V2. Where can i report this bug to the OC beta folks?</FONT></P>
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Thanks for trying OneCare backup. Though its possible to use the WHS network share for OneCare backup, we do not support it that way as these two are two different backup solutions. We have tested with network shares and the free space was reported correctly. If OneCare is not recognizing the external Maxtor drive, it might be a bug. Please provide us the support log.

Monday, August 13, 2007 1:57 PM
  •  Bob Gay wrote:
    Hi all i beg to differ with some of your replys I was involved in both the onecare and whs betas and i hope the WHS rtm fixes some glaring bugs. I have external Drives (Maxtor 3200) on both my desktop running Vista ultimate. and on my WHS pc. I have a TB of storage on my server with 500 gig being used.I set up OC to backup to my WHS server and the server reports back to OC that i only have 54 gig available. What makes it worse is OC does not reconize my USB External Maxtor drive so i cant back up to their. Only WHS continues to BU my systems.I have to admit this only happened when i installed OC V2. Where can i report this bug to the OC beta folks?

Hi, Bob.

You can file a bug here: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

In your case, I'd file two of them - one for the WHS misreported space available and one for the Maxtor external drive.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Not sure if anyone wants this info, but I thought I would share my latest experience with you and to help out consumers with OC and WHS.

Just a note: I too am in the OC Beta and the WHS Beta.  I just purchased the OEM version of WHS and the upgrade from Beta went flawlessly.  I also just built a new Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC for everyday use and Installed OC Beta V2.0.2500.10 on it.  I have a total of 3 TB of WHS storage space with a 1TB Netgear NAS  (SC101) that WHS is using. Everything is duplicateed on the WHS ( I've lost too many harddrives in the past not to do this).

I setup my PC with the WHS connector software to backup to the WHS about 24 hours before installing OC.  When I installed OC, it did not notify me that I am backing up to WHS at all.  After getting annoyed with the Backup notifications (Status: Fair) from OC, I disabled backup for that PC in OC by doing the following:

1 - Open OC

2 - Click on "Change Settings"

3 - Select the "Backup" Tab

4 - Select "Configure Backup"

5 - Select "Change Settings" from the lower left of the new window that opens up

6 - Select the PC that is currently being backed up by WHS.

7 - On-Check the box next to "Turn on backup on this PC"

8 - Click "Next"

9 - Click "Save"

10 - I was then prompted if I wanted to use WHS or both.(I selected WHS only)

OneCare is happy now with Status: Good

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Years of disappointment and frustration has taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket - especially not if it is one filled with Windows ...

In case anyone is interested my setup is like this :

Tranquil WHS with two 750 GB external HDs, total of 2 TB space, everything duplicated to effectively just under one TB
    2 Netgear SC-101's, each 500 GB RAID1 to match WHS storage

Once a week, a scheduled NT backup makes a backup of the shared folders to alternate drives in alternate weeks, so that I always have 13 days worth of backup to return to if (when ...) WHS fails me. 

I also have a Ghost copy of the system drive on WHS which I update irregularly.

Apart from that, I am running a mixed Windows / Linux / Mac environment with a Tiger Server with an attached Iomega Ultramax 1TB for my MacBook backups - WHS is set up as a workgroup, and Mac as a domain - from the Mac side there is a trust to WHS, so users can exchange files freely.

I have two DrayTek routers balancing traffic, with one of them providing DHCP and WHS gateway, and the other one web access to the Mac domain. Although the DrayTek was tough to get going against WHS, it is now rock solid, where I use the DrayTek for VPN both to WHS and Mac. 

Furthermore, my WHS runs F-Protect antivirus, MS SQL Server and VPOP3 Email server, and is not stressed out at all - CPU never exceeds 40% during balancing, and idles along at an average of 3 to 5 %. 

WHS is good stuff, mainly because the Win2K3 SBS platform is so tried and tested, and fairly bug free. The IIS is, as one would expect, flaky at best, and I have had to reinstall WHS a few times until I sussed out how to go about hosting other sites (I do media streaming from the Mac through WHS), but now it has run for a month without fail and I am happy.

As with all other products from MS, WHS overcomplicates things behind the scenes - it looks good on the surface, but documentation is poor - this is a fairly simple construction to make, where the only reason why I have bought in is that I have to run SQL Server, and this is a really cheap way to put your hands on a Win2K3 server... 
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:40 PM