Connection Lost to Server Every Night RRS feed

• Question

• On MediaSmartServer.net there's a forum thread detailing the problems several of us are having where every night, all client PCs (and Macs) lose connectivity to the WHS, and the WHS must be power-cycled to regain connectivity. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5818

Are MVPs and Microsoft aware of these problems? Should we repost the thread here?

There's a ton of troubleshooting that folks have already performed, but really no progress on identifying the underlying problem or how to fix it. FWIW, this feels like another deep, troublesome problem in WHS, not some trivial "Joe Sixpack screwed up his networking configuration" problem.

--Peter
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,
    no, I did not see this behavior on the ex470, and it seems not to happen that often (otherwise we would see many more threads with similar content).
    Please give some more details about the issue. If you lost the connection, what happens, if you
    ping the server by name
    ping the server by IP address
    attempt to map a network drive with the command net use x: \\server\software (replace server with the name of your server)

What are the exact error messages?
    Are there errors visible in the event log of the server?
    Is the server connected to a router or to a switch (which model)?
    Are router firmware and network drivers on the server up to date?
    Which 3rd party tools/Add-Ins are installed on the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:36 PM
  • As a general rule, if "several people" have an issue, it's not a widespread problem or a flaw with the Windows Home Server product itself. There are still many possibilities for the cause of the issue, though unfortunately most of them are external to the server and therefore out of Microsoft's or HP's control.

What I would recommend as a debugging step: perform a server recovery. During the OOBE process, choose to accept automatic updates. Install nothing afterward: no add-ins, and especially no software installed outside the console. Make no unsupported tweaks to the system. Wait a few days and see what happens.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:39 PM
  • No, or at least not for the Windows Home Server shares, etc. A server recovery will reset the OS partition on the system drive, but won't touch the DATA partition on the system drive, or any other drive.

I suppose it's possible that you could lose something from the additional software that HP provides, though that seems unlikely. I didn't when I tested recovery on my HP MediaSmart Server, but that was some time ago, and I don't have a current MSS (mine is an EX475) so I don't have some of the newer software.

Monday, November 2, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,
    no, I did not see this behavior on the ex470, and it seems not to happen that often (otherwise we would see many more threads with similar content).
    Please give some more details about the issue. If you lost the connection, what happens, if you
    ping the server by name
    ping the server by IP address
    attempt to map a network drive with the command net use x: \\server\software (replace server with the name of your server)

What are the exact error messages?
    Are there errors visible in the event log of the server?
    Is the server connected to a router or to a switch (which model)?
    Are router firmware and network drivers on the server up to date?
    Which 3rd party tools/Add-Ins are installed on the server?

Olaf
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:36 PM
  • As a general rule, if "several people" have an issue, it's not a widespread problem or a flaw with the Windows Home Server product itself. There are still many possibilities for the cause of the issue, though unfortunately most of them are external to the server and therefore out of Microsoft's or HP's control.

What I would recommend as a debugging step: perform a server recovery. During the OOBE process, choose to accept automatic updates. Install nothing afterward: no add-ins, and especially no software installed outside the console. Make no unsupported tweaks to the system. Wait a few days and see what happens.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:39 PM
  • I've heard rumors of people losing data as a side effect of performing a server recovery - what's the reality? Do I need to back up all my WHS data elsewhere first?

Monday, November 2, 2009 2:06 AM
  • No, or at least not for the Windows Home Server shares, etc. A server recovery will reset the OS partition on the system drive, but won't touch the DATA partition on the system drive, or any other drive.

I suppose it's possible that you could lose something from the additional software that HP provides, though that seems unlikely. I didn't when I tested recovery on my HP MediaSmart Server, but that was some time ago, and I don't have a current MSS (mine is an EX475) so I don't have some of the newer software.

Monday, November 2, 2009 4:56 PM
  • I seem to be having the same problem as PeterPla, but I do not have an HP server.  Mine is homemade and has worked well since I installed Win 7 on my main computer.   It seemed everything was fine up and until the first night after Win 7 install.   I noticed the connectivity icon on the task bar was grey and it said the connection had been lost, and sure enough, it hadn't backed up anything.   every day since the Win 7 install, I've now had to to manually backup my home computer...this is VERY tedious and not sure why it's happening. 

I've tried rebooting the server dozens of times, and now it seems that after I log on after the administrator of WHS that the server's look is different, the icons I had there originally are gone, and has changed in some way.   That really doesn't concern me as much as it not backing up my Win 7 computer.   

I have no other computers in the house, this one is almost directly connected via a switch to the server (since I have no need for a router) and it's never complained.    I've seen other posts about restoring/or clean install on a WHS server, but what goot will that do?   And I sure as heck don't want all of my user data destroyed in the process!!!
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Windows Home Server (released over 2 years ago) isn't 100% compatible with Windows 7 (which was just released). You can try installing the beta of Power Pack 3, available from Connect. This update to Windows Home Server adds increased Windows 7 compatibility.

Monday, November 2, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I have a somewhat similar issue - although I hadn't posted it yet as my primary concern was getting to the point I could restore backups (no luck yet!). 

Most nights (not all) I need to reboot the server to get any connectivity.  The server seems to hang totally - when I switch to the server input on my monitor the machine appears to be completely frozen - no way to connect via RDP, no way to log in directly and the server software I run doesn't respond.  So basically on the nights when my server doesn't freeze, and runs a backup, I can't actually restore from all the backups it makes....ugh.  My clients are only xp and vista - no windows 7 here yet. 
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:37 AM
  • This is a real issue.  There are enough posts of the same issue.   I have a new 490 and mine loses connectivity every night.  I can't ping the server each morning.  A soft reset works, and is immediately available.  My system is brand new, vanilla with no addins. 

There are a few things that people have pointed to that I'm going to continue to track down. 

1.  Seems to occur around the same time as the backups.   Some report that when they turn backups off, it stops losing connectivity.

2.  Realtek drivers have been updated quite a bit since June.  But I'm not sure if the realtek in the HP 490 is the same one referenced as the pci express nic on the realtek site.   I don't want to have to recover if the driver fails.  (Real downside to no monitor port.  Wish this thing had a cheap video port/keyboard.)

3.  There's a problem on Windows 2003 where it shuts the network connection down in the case of a denial of service attack.  I'm wondering if there's something going on during the backup with a lot of network traffic causing this.    I don't know if WHS is susceptible to this.

4.  I read another technet article(I think) about RSS and TCP Offload that shuts the connection down.   They provided a registry fix, but this was mainly related to SBS.

Others, please keep the info flowing.  There''s a lot of dead end threads on this subject.    
    Michael
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:45 AM
  • I don't have this issue with HP EX470, EX490, Aspire H340 or my homebuilt server and at leat one Win7 x64 client connected to each system.

Possibly this is a Computer Browser issue (Master browser election). There's many possible causes for this type of issue, and often difficult to troubleshoot. One problem could be multihomed computers on the network; two or more different subnets, for example wireless and wired using a different subnet or a virtual adapter on another subnet (VPN). For those using Win 7 it could be the "homegroup" is causing the problem. Another problem could be unstable network connection, sometimes wireless connections get dropped very briefly.

For all of you epxeriencing this problem please check server and client event logs for messages with source "browser" around the time the connection was lost. 

Another thing to try would be set the network adapters of server and client to a fixed speed (100Mbps Full Duplex) instead of Auto negotiate.

In addition I think each of you should file a bug on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site (don't forget to supply the logs). This will allow WHS development team to investigate this problem.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Just fyi, I went dark on this because the proposed next steps are too complex ("master browser election"?), or too ambiguous ("don't forget to supply the logs" - which logs, stored where exactly).

But the problem continues. Every. Single. Night.

I'm hoping that HP's 3.0 software release will miraculously fix this problem, but realistically don't expect that to happen. Hopefully "Vail", based on WS08 R2, will sove this problem.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:01 AM
  • I am experiencing the exact same 'losing network connection every night' problem. My setup is thus:

1) HP MediaSmart EX470
    2) One XP 32-bit PC connected wirelessly into the home network
    3) One Vista 64-bit PC connected wired into the same Linksys 10/100 switch that the MediaSmart is connected to
    4) Both PCs are configured to be backed up between 12:00AM and 6:00AM

I am suspecting that this may be related to my Vista 64-bit PC being made to go on standby before the backup time, and being 'woken up' for backup purposes. I am in the process of confirming this connection and will post my findings shortly.

The only recovery for me is to hard re-boot the WHS.

Another observation - I have had WHS for a while now and have noticed that the problem has surfaced only the past two months or so. I am wondering if a recent WHS update triggered this bug. I also am seeing a lot of posts about updating the WHS NIC driver. My WHS has a SiS 191 NIC and I am unable to find the driver for that specific NIC.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Hi,
    upgrading the NIC drivers on a headless box without a driver, which is directly supported by the maker of that box, can face the risk of loosing connection totally and require a server recovery.

Can you check the event logs on both the client and the server, if there are more detailed error messages or warnings around the seen behavior?

Would a manual backup run through? Can you still ping the server by name or IP? Can you plug the network cable and put it to another port of the switch?
    Btw. with the amount of data going through the network in many cases, a cheap Gigabit switch would be recommended, at least if also the other infrastructure supports the bandwidth.

Best greetings
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

After playing around with WHS configuration for a couple of days - including disabling Remote Access, and still experiencing the problem of 'network connection lost' every night, I decided to replace the Linksys 10/100 switch (SD208) I had with a new Linksys 10/100/1000 EG008W switch and the problem appears to have gone away - at least as of two consecutive nights of use. This 'finding' on my part appears to be consistent with Olaf's suggestion above.

Now, it would be nice if there was a good technical explanation for all this. I trust that the problem went away for a real technical reason and not because of some coincidence and sequence of events. For example, everytime, I played around with WHS configuration (before changing out the switch), I re-booted the machine.

Another piece of finding - while the new switch is 'gigabit', the real throughput I am getting between my computer and the WHS is about 300 mb/s. This is in contrast to the 90 mb/s I was getting with the old switch. I am therefore not fully convinced that the problem was solved because of a higher-throughput switch. May be the old SD208 had some buffer problems during large data transfer. Who knows.

To make a long story short - at least in my case, the problem of nightly network connection loss appears to have been solved by replacing the old 10/100 switch with a new 'GigE' switch. I DID NOT REPLACE OR UPDATE THE WHS NIC driver since I could not find the right driver and did not want to take any chances (again consistent with Olaf's suggestion)

Olaf, thanks for your inputs. If the problem re-appears, I will try some of your other suggestions.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hi,
    thanks for reporting your findings.
    Your assumption, that the old network switch might have problems with high amount of data pressed through it in short time, can absolutely be true. Can also be caused by internal overheating of the old hardware, if it collected dust long enough.
    The network speed is also a bit difficult to determine. You will loose at least 10% for administrative overhead. Other applications/services and clients are also using the connection, therefore the bandwith is not fully reserved to the WHS to one client connection.
    Last but not least the data transfer rate can be reduced by other bottlenecks (i.e. a virus scanner on client/server or some processes going on on the server like duplication at full hours or a running backup can also reduce the real speed).
    Also not each network card (on server AND client) works perfectly well with other makers hardware (switch) and even the quality of cabling may have influence.

Olaf
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:37 PM
  • I am having this issue also, with my Acer netbook going through a wireless connection.  During the day I am easily able to run manual backups, but every night the backup fails.  A Win7 64-bit machine on the same network backs up correctly every night. Here's the error in the application log on the client:

Backup set 0 on URANIUM failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.DoWaiting()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.SendBeginBackupAndWait()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I am also experiencing this issue.  HP EX485 works perfectly for everything except backing up my 64-bit Vista box; the backup process freezes the server as soon as it reaches 12%.

The backups worked perfectly every night up until April or so, and I have not been able to complete a single one since then.

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:34 PM
  • I am also experiencing this issue.  HP EX485 works perfectly for everything except backing up my 64-bit Vista box; the backup process freezes the server as soon as it reaches 12%.

The backups worked perfectly every night up until April or so, and I have not been able to complete a single one since then.

It doesn't sound like the same as the OP to me (and it's always better to start your own thread anyway).  In any event, try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your Vista client.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Just to close the loop here, since installing HP's 3.0 software, I have not had this problem. Not sure if the HP software actually fixed the problem, or some other change around that same time fixed it.

E.g., before installing the HP software, I replaced the system drive. Until installing the new hard drive, I had lots of disk-related entries in the event log, and system crashes where the automated feedback from MS after the crash dumps were uploaded indicated the crashes were due to a hard drive problem. Unfortunately I was unable to divine from any of those errors WHICH hard drive was the source of the problem. I finally installed the "Home Server SMART" add-in, which showed some problems with the system drive, which is why I replaced it.

• Edited by PeterPla Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:54 PM Add info on system drive replacement
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:47 PM
  • As many has posted in this thread I used not to have any issues with my EX485 when was backing 2 cpu's with XP SP3. I got 2 new Windows 7 64 bit home edition and ultimate and since then my server froze every night. I have check the event viewer, defrag, disk clean up the basics to see what it go on. I even open the case to check to see if for whatever reason any diode was leaking, when I open I dust clean the case that was not that dusty because I do it frequently. To no avail it continues to froze also causing my McAfee act up too. Getting in Event viewer Crypt32 id 11, HPTransMon Event id 0, Windows Search Service event id3013, Media Server Software eventid0.

What else we can do to fix this issues.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Now I see my ex470 randomly freeze as well - not each night, but in a range between 2 days and more than 2 weeks fully unpredictable. It could be, that this started after upgrading the box to 2GB of memory, but I'm not sure and I cannot revert.

Besides that the lockup also caused locking the network connection of the most workstations on the Netgear 8 port unmanaged Gigabit switch. Pulling the network cable of the server and leaving it out or power cycling the server immediatly resolved the network issue as well as connecting the server directly to a port on a managed switch.

Olaf

Monday, September 6, 2010 11:27 AM
  • ok, i have read this artikels because i have the following problem, which looks a bit simular:

i have a hp x510 with whs sp3. also a ready nas duo. and about 8 or 9 clients. all data is put in maps on the x510, and i use the ready nas to initiate backup to the same maps on the readynas.

protocol is cifs. so far so good. but i noticed that in many occasions my x510 is giving network problems. first of all it cannot be reached be client pc's. the ready nas gives also failure to contact.

i can ping the x510 from any client, but cannot rdp into it. also it affects something i cannot find yet in my network, because getting ip adresses is interupted. the x510 and readynas are connected by gigabit switch, and the switch is connected to a gigabit router. when i switch off the x510 when i having the problems, all starts to work again.

so it must be something happening to the nic of the x510.  i have the properties : jumbo frabmes off (everywhere), flow control enabled, speed en duplex 1.0 ggbps full duplex and i had LARGE SEND OFFLOAD ENABLED.

after reading many fora i switched the last one to disabled, and hope the network will keep working. others had good reslults.

rgds

Patrick

Monday, December 6, 2010 5:32 PM
  • I am starting to have the same problem. Somenone may have already brought this up, but I will mention it again. I have a ACER Easystore and initially I have never had this problem. I work from hone and recently our company switched over to another VPN software(Juniper). I notice that everytime I start the VPN software, I can not access my shared drives or RDP into the WHS. If I close the VPN software and wait about aminute, I am able to access my shared drive and able to use the WHS Console and RDP into my WHS.

Now the problem is what occurs at night. intermittenty I notcie that I could not access my WHS via WHS Console, RDP or even acces my shared drives. I could ping my WHS with no problems, but could not access the drives. The only way to solve the problem is to power don my WHS. After I power the WHS back up averything is fine. I can use the WHS any time until I start the VPN software. Then I notice the pattern. If I forget to exit out of my VPN software and my backup starts at 12:00, needless to say, I will not be able to access my WHS unless I shut it down. I confirmed that tonight, because I meant to exit out of the VPN software and did not. When I tried to access the WHS shared folese, RDP or WHS console, I could not.

Since the  error occur in this fashion I decided to goggle VPN affet WHS and that brought me to this forum.

I have to check to see if I have Power Pack 3, but do you think that will make a difference? Thanks for everyones post it gives me hope. I always googled on lost WHS connection, but never ran across this post.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:25 AM