none
Back Button Behavior RRS feed

• Question

• This was discussed this past February and March and I think the behavior was changed to minimize trips to the server to refresh. However, now I see strange behavior. I frequently work with the "My Threads" list. When I select a thread and then click the Back button to return to the list, the list is clearly old, like 20 hours ago. Even after I click Refresh and get the updated list, after I select a thread and come back, I see the old list again. I think I may have seen similar behavior elsewhere, like in the list of unanswered questions, but I can't be sure. I just know I frequently get confused and lose my place. My expectation when I click Back is to see the same thing I saw a moment ago.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you sure you're not in the list of your 'Unread' threads? I'm not seeing the same behavior as you do.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:50 PM
  • I'm definitely in "My Threads". However, something else may be going on with my browser (IE 9 on Windows 7). I just checked "My Threads" and it seemed up to date. Then I got an error saying the application should be closed. When I agree, IE reloads. I've seen this many times lately (a few times a day). After the refresh, the display still shows "My Threads", but the display is a day old. The last reply shown on some threads is from yesterday but dated 1 hour ago. When I open the thread I see several newer replies, so the thread itself is up to date.

I leave IE open all the time and refresh during the day. I think I need to close IE and restart more often. I just hate to repeatedly login.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I see. I use Google Chrome and don't see this behavior. I also never close this forum, so I stay logged from one computer re-start to the other.

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I have restarted IE and logged in twice today, but it is still happening to me. I just selected "My Threads", saw that you had replied, so I looked at your reply. When I clicked Back I saw the list of my threads from yesterday. One thread in the list had someone that supposedly replied an hour ago, but that person replied yesterday and not since, while several other have since replied. And I could not find this thread in the list. When I refreshed (and waited a few seconds), I got the current list of my threads. Somehow when I click Back I get a cached list from many hours ago.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:16 PM
  • What is the exact OS version and IE version and anything else that will help admins to try to reproduce the issue?

I am a Google Chrome user, I use IE only for one particular site. 

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:36 PM

Browser: Internet Explorer 9, version 9.0.8112.16421

I generally have two instances of IE open, one for the Technet Forums home page so I can see all the forums I've recently visited, and one for The Scripting Guys Forum where I moderate. I leave these open sometimes for days, unless I start to get errors. As noted, closing all instances of IE and starting again does not seem to help with this issue, but sometimes I can't print and restarting IE seems to help that. I'm no expert in IE.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:28 PM
  • I can't repro for some reason. Could this be a cookie or configuration issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, May 11, 2012 11:36 PM
    Owner
  • I haven't changed or done anything, but I have not experienced this behavior in the last 2 weeks. I just checked to make sure. I cannot explain.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:29 AM