Documents & Settings/user folder unreadable. folder removed?! RRS feed

• Question

• hello all.
    i booted up my home pc as per usual last night and logged into my user account, only to find that EVERYTHING attrubuted to my login has pretty much vanished. 'My Documents' folder is completely empty of any music or pictures I had saved, my desktop is empy bar for the recycle bin, and any programs that were installed and attributed to my profile have been erased!

i ran chdsk utility and it informed me that "documents & settings/(my user) folder unreadable.
                                                                  documents & settings/(my user) folder removed."

i tried a system restore point, thinking that the folder must've corrupted at some point since my last login, so restored to a point over a month ago, and the result was "System was not restored. no changes have occured within your computer."

so are all my documents and programs gone forever now?? somebody please help! all of my university work was in those folders!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:58 PM

Answers

• hello all.
    i booted up my home pc as per usual last night and logged into my user account, only to find that EVERYTHING attrubuted to my login has pretty much vanished. 'My Documents' folder is completely empty of any music or pictures I had saved, my desktop is empy bar for the recycle bin, and any programs that were installed and attributed to my profile have been erased!

i ran chdsk utility and it informed me that "documents & settings/(my user) folder unreadable.
                                                                  documents & settings/(my user) folder removed."

i tried a system restore point, thinking that the folder must've corrupted at some point since my last login, so restored to a point over a month ago, and the result was "System was not restored. no changes have occured within your computer."

so are all my documents and programs gone forever now?? somebody please help! all of my university work was in those folders!

This forum is for Windows Home Server.  You should post your question in either the XP, Vista, or 7 forums (depending on which OS you are using).
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 1:05 PM