No Control Panel. No Microsoft Update. No Printing. No Microsoft Games. No Answers??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I am having a devil of a time with Vista. I have the 64-bit Home Premium version and it's stopped/halted about 60% of my processes and I can't run control panel as well as other Windows programs. I also can't print.

I have tried running "services.msc" and "software licensing" and it's stopped. When I try to hit "start" I get this:

Windows could not start the software licensing service on Local Computer.
    Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

I have also tried opening command prompt under administrator and typing in "net start slsvc" and I get this:

System error 3 has occured.
    The system cannot find the path specified.

And last but not least, I have tried unchecking the "read only" property in the system32 folder because some people said they had success there. Unfortunately I am denied no matter what I do and the folder remains read-only.

I can't change any of these properties in safe mode either. I have been told that NVIDIA may be the problem. I have also read on other blogs that I have to get Microsoft Tech Support to fix this because "it's part of a larger problem with Vista."

Tech support costs $59, which in my opinion is $59 more than Vista is worth!!! Does anyone know the answer to my problem? Anyone?

-Nick
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hello Potential,

You appear to have tried all the things I would have suggested. 
    (Eventhough you have already tried them, I have re-posted my suggestions for restarting the service, at the bottom the this post, so you can confirm that you have tried all the steps)

Note: There are a number of Services that run under Windows and while the Software Licensing Service, itself, is supported by Windows Genuine Advantage, the process for starting and stopping services is a Windows Core sub-system and is outside the focus (and knowledge) of this support.  If the below steps do not resolve your issue, there may be a larger issue with Vista's Services sub-system and we suggest contacting Vista support at http://support.microsoft.com/ 

----------------------------------------------

The first set of steps are how to set the Software Licensing Service to start at each Vista Start-up. 

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  services.msc
    2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
    3. The Services window should now open.
    4. Scroll down to Software Licensing, then right-click on it and select Properties.
    5. Under the General tab, click on the Stop button.
    6. Set the Startup Type to Automatic, then click Apply.
    7. Next, under Service Status, click on the Start button.
    8. Last, restart your computer.   

The second set of steps are the Manual steps to Force Start the Software Licensing Service. 

If you have access to the Start button:

1) Click the Start button
    2) Type: cmd in the Start Search field
    3) At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe
    4) Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: net start slsvc

If you do not have access to the Start button:

1) Click the option that launches an Internet Browser
    2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field
    3) Find the file cmd.exe
    4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    5) Type: net start slsvc

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:37 PM