none
Has Anyone Established from Microsoft if Money 2005 UK QFE2 or Microsoft Sunset is Now Free To Use RRS feed

• Question

• I have a licensed copy of Microsoft Money 2004 UK. I used to download my data into it using OFX files from my bank.

Recently my bank upgraded its online banking facilities including the way it builds the OFX files. These files are a later version of OFX which isn't supported by Money 2004 but are supported by Money 2005 UK QFE2.

I found Money 2005 UK QFE2 available on the Microsoft Download Centre but when I go to install it the license agreement mentions a license being required to use it.

I am aware of a version called Microsoft Money Sunset edition for US users but this mentions it won't support non-US versions of Money files.
    So I asked Customer Services on support.microsoft.com is Money 2005 UK QFE the UK equivalent of this for UK users meaning the license is free? If not, will my Money 2004 UK license cover it as the software is no longer sold? And if not, how can I obtain one - as I desperately need one as my Money file has entries back to 1995 and really need the OFX downloads to continue as I have several different accounts.

But they told me the software is not supported (which I know) and for more info to phone Customer Services on an 0844 number. I did this and the man told me the software is not supported and to post my question on support.microsoft.com. When I replied on support.microsoft.com they suggested posting the question on the forum.

So I was wondering if anyone had any more success than me in trying to establish how legal it is to download and start using 2005 UK or Sunset when licensed to only use 2004 UK.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• Good afternoon. Yes it's completely free to use although completely unsupported by Microsoft.

My version contunies to work just fine (crossed fingers!) and also continues to download stock quotes. It deals with my bank just fine. The US Sunset edition would do all this (in sterling) but you would need to export and import data files, which always leads to tears.

I have tested other, supported, programmes but they are frankly not a patch on MSMoney.

AS

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I would add that Money 2005 QFE2 does not handle OFX files that 2004 does not, as far as I know. They both handle OFX 2.x. It's just that I expect that 2005 will have a problem if 2004 does. If you do find I am wrong about this from your experience, let us know.

What is the symptom with your downloads?

Do you, for example, get error "<Filename> couldn't be downloaded"
    Problem is do not save encrypted pages to disk option in IE.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2549423

The OFX file could be bad. There is an OFX Analyzer to be had free from Microsoft. One potential error, for example, is that your file contains an ampersand that is not part of &amp; or &gt; or &lt;

Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Thanks for your replies guys.

The OFX file I use is from Nationwide Building Society in the UK. They used to provide "proper" support for Money (they had a Money server that Money would periodically contact and download statements). They discontinued this a couple of years ago but due to pressure from Money users they recently have introduced an OFX download facility.

But unlike most other banks that seem to use OFX 1.x, the OFX file I get from Nationwide now is in XML format which begins as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><?OFX OFXHEADER="200" VERSION="203" SECURITY="NONE" OLDFILEUID="NONE" NEWFILEUID="NONE"?

When I download this into Money 2004 I get money issue a message box saying "The file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data".

Nationwide tech support say they have tested their OFX files with Money 2005 UK QFE2 because that was the last version and they are compatible. A test was done successfully importing the same OFX file into that version so they can't provide any more support as I am on an old version.

I just wish Microsoft would make it plain if 2005 UK or Sunset could be used on the strength of an older version license. All they will say is the versions are not supported any more. I would happily have bought 2005 UK when it was still being sold had I realised there was a big avdantage in doing so but as I had bought most previous releases of Money and found little difference between each of them I stopped doing so after buying 2004.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:51 AM
  • I don't think Money 2005 will make a difference for this.

Open your OFX file in Notepad. Make sure "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>" is the first line in the file and that it is on a line by itself, and not run together with the rest.

Save that file, and the File->Import->DownloadedStatement to read in your modified file. Let us know if that works. Whichever way it goes, there is more to add-- even if it worked.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:58 PM
  • I still bank with Nationwide but switched my credit card to Capital One because they still support Money.

Not as well as the automatic update Nationwide supplied but good enough for me.

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Cal.

I tried that but it still fails with the same message.

Thanks anyway.

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:07 AM
  • I went elsewhere with my credit card account for the same reason - to Tesco Bank as they provide OFX downloads which do work with Microsoft Money 2004 UK.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 10:10 AM
  • What I  wish I could do is to point you to where to download ofxanalyzer.exe . I don't find it in Microsoft downloads anymore.  OFXAnalyzer.exe is 233,472 bytes long. Maybe Nationwide support could help you with that.  Its  MD5 is c6ee73749bb5ce69b584a004f29a4e53. Its SHA-1 is 28b3c24f1f1791dd8ad22556b52b274059bb0568. Edit: I see OFX Analyzer is available at http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/366.aspx 

If you wanted to try posting a copy of your OFX file somewhere readable, I could try  OFXAnalyzer on it.  You could alternatively paste it into a post as you did to the initial part earlier. You would want to cleans it of your account number(s) from within <ACCTID>...</ACCTID> tags. So maybe change <ACCTID>232201683</ACCTID> to <ACCTID>123456789</ACCTID>, but do not over-cleans. For example, any field that starts with <DT*> ...<DT*> is a date field. So don't munge those...

The <TRNUID>...</TRNUID> values are only required to be unique alphanumerics. Some institutions use a form of date along with a sequence number. No need to bother changing that. Some use your account number as part of the string. Change those by replacing any occurrence of your account number to maybe zzzzz. So if your account number was as above, you would change <TRNUID>232201683002</TRNUID>  to  <TRNUID>zzzzz002</TRNUID>

Whether to modify amounts is up to you. If you do change amounts, make them different amounts with the same sign; don't just xxx them out.

Edit: So if you get OFX Analyzer onto your own computer, then you can test your own files. Paste the results into a post if you have trouble reading them... They can be confusing.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Thanks for your help again Cal

I downloaded and ran the OFXAnalyzer04 for Money 2004 on my OFX file and got the following report:

*** All line number references do not include header lines ***
    ***OFX 1.02 Add ~10
    ***OFX 2.0 Add ~2
    Running Data Through Parser
    ERROR -- Parser Unable To Load

I then installed OFXAnalyser.msi which installed the OFX analyzer for Money 2005 and 2006 and got the following report:

***OFX 1.02 Add ~10
    ***OFX 2.0 Add ~2
    ERROR -- File not found, File empty, Out of Memory, or Unknown Parse Failure

I'm very grateful for the time you've spent helping me but as it looks like the OFX is not suitable for Money 2004 or 5 (or 6) and would need editing each time I download I think perhaps I'll just continue with manually reconciling the transactions. Or if I'm desperate I could try downloading Money Sunset and see if that throws up license agreement issues on the install and if it doesn't perhaps I'll try the OFX through that as I guess if anything should support the latest OFX standards that should.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for your help again Cal

I downloaded and ran the OFXAnalyzer04 for Money 2004 on my OFX file and got the following report:

***OFX 1.02 Add ~10
    ***OFX 2.0 Add ~2
    ERROR -- Parser Unable To Load

I then installed OFXAnalyser.msi which installed the OFX analyzer for Money 2005 and 2006 and got the following report:

***OFX 1.02 Add ~10
    ***OFX 2.0 Add ~2
    ERROR -- File not found, File empty, Out of Memory, or Unknown Parse Failure

Don't give up. Put your *.ofx file in your documents folder, or a sub-folder in your documents folder(probably not important, but just in case...). Make sure that '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>' is on the very first line of the file, and make sure it is on a line by itself. (I suspect this is the problem. I just tried running this together with the next '<?OFX OFXHEADER="200" VERSION= .....' part as you did in your first pasted bit, and I got that same error message that you did. So I suspect your file has that flaw plus at least one more.

In OFXAnalyzer, do not type the filename in. Instead click Browse to get to the file. I also get that same error if I mis-type the filename or path on purpose.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I had done exactly as you said regarding the very first line of the file. I was also using the Browse button in both analyzer programs to navigate to the OFX file. However, I had the OFX download file in the same directory as the OFXAnalyzer04 and OFXAnalyzer. There was also spaces in the OFX download file name.

So following your post above, I moved the OFX download file into Documents\Temp and renamed the OFX file so it no longer had spaces in its name.

The OFX Analyser program for 2005 and 2006 still produces the same error messages.
    There is a subtle change in the OFXAnalyzer04 output in that the "ERROR Parser unable to load"  message has now been replaced by the same error message that the OFX Analyser program for 2005 and 2006 produces - "ERROR -- File not found, File empty, Out of Memory, or Unknown Parse Failure".

If you are interested I have since carefully edited out my personal details in the OFX and replaced them with exactly the same number of characters where a name is expected and the same number of digits where an account number is expected so you can see what I am working with.
    The account number field ACCTID begins with **** on the download. I did not change these, just the 5 numbers after that.

• Edited by Big-Bri Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:04 PM
  • I have had good success in troubleshooting:

1. To make OFXAnalyze.exe process the file, I changed VERSION="203" to VERSION="200" in the second line. I don't have Money version 4 to test with, but I suspect that may be the problem with Money 2004 accepting the files.

2. I then got a real error message from OFXAnalyze.  The error was probably a typo during your munging/cleansing process. I replaced  "<NAME />" with "<NAME>added07-00-30 91018210</NAME>".

The problem is that the error message showed the error was on line 1, because there were no newline characters. To make the OFX Analyzer useful in the future, it would be good to change all of the "><" sequences with ">newline<" where newline is the Windows new line sequence.

I wrote a Python script  that can both change the version and to add the newline sequences. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ikh990xgro3l9vg is ofx2m.zip  (1,174 bytes) which contains ofx2m.py and ofx2m.txt.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:28 PM
  • Cal,

Thanks for all the hard work you've done.

The "<NAME />" string is downloaded like that from the bank. I didn't edit that.

I made the version change and retried the import in Money 2004 but still no luck. I then replaced  "<NAME />" with "<NAME>a string of characters and numbers</NAME>" and it worked!

It would appear Money 2005 UK QFE is more tolerant than Money 2004 UK with regards the "<NAME />" syntax rules as Nationwide's OFX testing with the former passed their tests.

Thanks to your extensive help I now know what to do in future to make Nationwide's OFX downloads work with Money 2004 UK. Your help has been much appreciated.

• Edited by Big-Bri Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:44 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Good afternoon. Yes it's completely free to use although completely unsupported by Microsoft.

My version contunies to work just fine (crossed fingers!) and also continues to download stock quotes. It deals with my bank just fine. The US Sunset edition would do all this (in sterling) but you would need to export and import data files, which always leads to tears.

I have tested other, supported, programmes but they are frankly not a patch on MSMoney.

AS

Thanks for your help, AS_Harrogate. I did reply earlier to say that but it seems my post disappeared.

I too did look at alternatives too but soon came to the same conclusion you did that there isn't anything that come close to (in my case an 8 year old version of) Microsoft Money.

• Edited by Big-Bri Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:52 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I am coming to this thread quite late in the process, but I am a bit confused.  Big-Bri, have you tried to install Money 2005 UK QFE2?  As AS_Harrogate pointed out, this is a completely free version that does not require prior license to use.  If you installed it and your downloads still do not work, you would at least be eligible for support from Nationwide, as they say that their downloads work with it with Money 2005.  Have you gone that route?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I am coming to this thread quite late in the process, but I am a bit confused.  Big-Bri, have you tried to install Money 2005 UK QFE2?  As AS_Harrogate pointed out, this is a completely free version that does not require prior license to use.  If you installed it and your downloads still do not work, you would at least be eligible for support from Nationwide, as they say that their downloads work with it with Money 2005.  Have you gone that route?

As per my opening post, I tried installing Money 2005 UK QFE2. During the install it indicated a license was required. I posted here at that time because I couldn't get a straight answer from Microsoft whether it was free to use. Web pages that I looked at indicated (if my memory serves me correctly) that the download was there for users of Money 2005 UK to apply the latest hotfixes to it. It said words to the effect of that it was standalone to allow existing Money 2005 UK users to be able to reinstall the product because the infrastructure to support the update mechanism from within Money 2005 UK had been dismantled and the latest hotfixes were required for correct operation.

But thanks to Cal's hard work diagnosing why Money 2004 UK was rejecting Nationwide's OFX files, I can carry on using Money 2004 UK.

When I was talking to Nationwide a support person said that they don't guarantee their OFX files will work with any particular product but during their testing they tried them with Money 2005 UK QFE2 and they worked.

• Edited by Big-Bri Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:45 PM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:42 PM
  • While you may have fixed your problem, allowing you to use UK version 12, other people read this forum.  It is therefore important to note that Money 2005 UK QFE2 has been provided by Microsoft for free (and without any support)  to any UK user wishing to use Microsoft Money.  It does not require any prior license.  As with all freeware, it does require acceptance of the terms and conditions of the product.   
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:06 AM