Tuneup on Laptops RRS feed

• General discussion

• How about the ability to postpone tuneups when a laptop is on battery?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Sounds great to me including delaying tune-up for another time.

Eric

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Anyone seen / know OneCare 2.0 currently handles the battery running out mid-tune-up?  I'd test it myself but don't esp want to risk the impact on my precious laptop!!

I guess it might have differing impact depending on the part of the tune-up in progress.  If it's bright and assuming the battery doesn't just die without warning, presumably it is able to abort the tune-up safely with limited chance of leaving it in a non-viable state.  Would hate to discover my laptop was left in sleep with low battery, woke itself in the night, started the tune-up and then got messed up due to running out of juice.... Obviously I wouldn't mind if it simply had to be re-done later, it's the non-viable outcome that concerns me!

Cheers,

Neil

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Good question, Neil. Since power management will typically kick in on low battery and shut down processes and go into hibernate or turn off at the critical point, I would imagine the Tune-up would simply be killed on the way down if it ignored the edict from power management that a system shutdown/hibernate was about to take place. I don't know this for sure, though.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:09 AM
  • By a series of quite unlikely coincidences (!) and a silly mistake on my part, I ended up experiencing something related this morning when I left my laptop doing a manually started complete backup. The laptop looked plugged in, but was in the wrong socket which had the power switch off...

Anyway, I went out with it chugging away and after some time the laptop must have gone into hibernation.  When I returned, I brought it back from hibernation, and found OneCare's backup still running (indicating about 40% complete on the progress bar).  The progress bar continued a short while with the % complete value increasing v slightly, but then very soon after I got an error message saying that the disk was not accessible (I didn't get a screenshot, but I think it had the same wording as the common error message where OneCare help says to check the device is correctly shared for all users; don't recollect there being an error code at all).

What was odd was that it had actually indicated an old share location from a house I used to live in some months back (prior to switching to OneCare 2.0; I haven't backed up this laptop for sometime and had disabled backup until now) - this share location was the setting for my backup location prior to switching it over to use Centralised Backup (and I'd confirmed within OneCare that it no longer pointed to that old location).  Additionally, it looks like the files that got backed up prior to hibernation did indeed get put on my Centralised Backup location, so either it is just an error in the message or the act of coming out of hibernation inadvertantly switched locations?

A further point of concern was that even though the backup did not complete successfully, it has set my status to Green/Good on that machine, and from the Hub PC there was no indication that anything had gone wrong (i.e. incomplete backup).  Fortunately I keep a close eye on all the PCs, but would be a concern if this happened with someone less attentive.

I'm now backing up again as a complete backup (not incremental), and although it isn't finished yet (v slow disk!) so far all seems fine...

(aside from not being able to easily get rid of the failed backup files, but that's another problem!!)

Cheers,

Neil

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:53 PM
  • So, we know that going into hibernate doesn't hurt OneCare tune-up. I suspect that the backup location issue is apart from the hibernation. It seems to me that the creation of the Centralized backup did not flush the local backup setting from the system, but I don't know why that would be. I'll mention this one to the Program Manager for OneCare backup.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Neil, I heard back from the OneCare team after they did some testing on this. They were unable to repro the problem you encountered with the backup location, so we both suspect that it is a problem apart from the hibernation situation. Did your backup complete when you ran it again?

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:43 PM
  • On my XP systems, I went into the sceduled tasks and set it to only run when the system has been idle for 15min and to stop if the system goes to battery.

I'm not seeing this on my Vista machine. Not sure why.

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:42 PM