none
DOS privilege

Question

• Hello,

I am using Vista SP-2.  I have enrolled myself to a Computer Fundamental course where they have started with DOS.

The institute is using Windows XP on all PCs.

When I am using the commands ' date ' and ' time ' (without codes) and changing the current date and time from there(in the institute pc), its being accepted.

But when I am trying to do the same from my personal laptop (having vista), I am getting a message " A required privilege is not held by the client " although I am logging into my system as Administrator.

Please suggest me a solution to this problem.

Regards,

Somali

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:14 AM

Answers

• "Somali-India" wrote in message news:52a37f3b-2b6c-4183-9524-860045cce4af...

Hello,

I am using Vista SP-2.  I have enrolled myself to a Computer Fundamental course where they have started with DOS.

When I am using the commands ' date ' and ' time ' (without codes) and changing the current date and time from there(in the institute pc), its being accepted.

But when I am trying to do the same from my personal laptop (having vista), I am getting a message " A required privilege is not held by the client " although I am logging into my system as Administrator.

Please suggest me a solution to this problem.

Regards,

Somali

Sorry - I should have added that this is not the proper place for such discussions - please post any further queries in the MS Answers forums at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Somali-India Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:25 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

Hello,

Regards,

Somali

Since DOS has not been present in a Windows Computer since the demise of the Win9x series in 2001, I suggest that you have a word with the organisers of your course to update their terminology! :)
    Windows XP should NOT be being used for training purposes at this stage of its life- it is not at all similar to any modern system in the way it operates.

As far as your actual problem is concerned, you need to do one of the following

Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    CMD.EXE
    right-click on the one file found, and select Run as Administrator from the option list.
    This will open the Command Prompt window in Administrator mode, and you can then enter your commands
    there.

OR
    Click on Start  > All Programs > Accessories
    right-click on 'Command Prompt', and select Run as Administrator.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:23 PM

Hello,

Regards,

Somali

Sorry - I should have added that this is not the proper place for such discussions - please post any further queries in the MS Answers forums at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista

• Marked as answer by Somali-India Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:25 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Dear Mr. Paton,

Thank u very much for helping me out.

And, ofcourse I wd remember to post such queries to the forum that you have specified.

Regards,

Somali

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:30 PM
  • "Somali-India" wrote in message news:a4b09fa8-5d99-46d5-a27b-58969999986b...

Dear Mr. Paton,

Thank u very much for helping me out.

And, ofcourse I wd remember to post such queries to the forum that you have specified.

Regards,

Somali

You're welcome for the help - good luck with the course, and your future computing!

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:03 PM