Administrator Logon does not complete - can't shutdown either - WHS v1 RRS feed

• Question

• It all started on Christmas day :-(

The server was streaming media sluggishly so decided to reboot...it didn't start back up normally - got stuck on a black screen after seeing the WHS splash screen, thinking something went wrong, I manually powered it down and turned it back on...same thing, so let it sit...eventually the Check Disk screen came up and it started reporting disk errors "File Record Segment xxx is unreadable" - this went on for hours before I gave up and powered down.  After Googling - sounded like one of of the drives in my external enclosure was toast.  So I left it powered down until todaySince I could not start WHS to remove the bad drive - I pulled the drive and put in a new one - I have most all data duplicated so from all I read, sounded like that should work.

It booted up ok but then told me it installed some new device (likely me moving the USB mouse to a new port) so I should reboot.  After the reboot, it ran the chkdsk stuff again and fixed some stuff on D:\ (DATA) then rebooted.  I was able to log back in again, but could not start the console - after several attempts, a warning came up noting some error had occurred and did I want to try restarting the console anyways - it never came up.

So I shut down and restarted, now after I logon as Administrator, I can't get past the blue background screen - if I do a CTRL-ALT-DEL - I can get to the regular menu with the Task Manager, Shut down etc...nothing shows running in the task manager (applications or processes) - but if I try to shutdown or restart - it reports it trying to end EXPLORER - but can't so I have to force it to end to shut down...then it says it's saving my settings, but gets stuck there so I have to hold the power button to force a shutdown.

The server is not reachable on the network either by name or (static) IP address at any point either. So no way to do a remote console or RDP connection.

The first time it rebooted after the chkdsk and corrections, it seemed to be doing something while that same blue background screen sat there...I could see the various activity lights for the 4 drives in my external enclosure alternately blinking - and expected something to happen when those lights stopped the activity - but nothing.  Now no lights blink - just can't complete the logon to get in and see what the issue is.

Doesn't appear to be any other bad drives - that would be odd.  So not sure what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I tried using the WINDOWS key and R to try and get the RUN window up also - doesn't work. I can only bring up the usual menu with CTRL-ALT-DEL

• Edited by Puulima Friday, January 4, 2013 8:12 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, it seems to me as if Windows is trying to start EXPLORER, but somehow is not succeeding. You mention that you are unable to get the RUN window up, that you are able to get the Task Manager through CTRL-ALT-DEL, but that no processes are showing. One thing you could try is to start a new EXPLORER task from the task manager. There should be a "New Task..." button on the Applications tab. Clicking on it should give yo a windows similar to the RUN window. You can start explorer by entering explorer.exe.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 4, 2013 9:27 AM
  • I probably wasn't real clear on the processes - lots are listed - but 0% CPU utilization (what I meant by "running") - Explorer is there.

Also - I get an error when the server is booting...takes forever on the "Applying  Computer Settings" screen (3-5 minutes) and  then a popup: "At least one service or driver failed during system startup" - I'm figuring that is one of the WHS processes that can't run until I remove the dead and gone drive - but perhaps it's more?  I click OK on that and still wait on the "Applying...." screen - another 10-15 minutes before I get to the usual lock screen...and that "process or service" error pops up again just before the lock screen...

Update: now it can't seem to get past the "Applying Computer Settings" screen...so now I can't even get to where I was last night.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: rebooted and now it's doing the chkdsk thing again...it's found errors in File 30's indexes?  Now resorting... It did that before.  This is on a "drive" labelled: "\\?\volume{e5099d1e....." - so that's one of the drives in the drive pool right?  From the activity light on my external 4 drive enclosure...looks like its a different drive than the one I replaced.  Finding it hard to believe that 2 drives would have issues the same time...unless this indexing issue is a result of me having to do hard reboots several times (including the most recent where it was "applying computer settings" for well over an hour or so.

Really wondering what to do...

• Edited by Puulima Friday, January 4, 2013 8:25 PM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Anybody have any ideas what to do?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Looks like a second drive is also dead...so perhaps this is why the $%^# server won't start-up properly?  I'm going to try removing it and restarting to see what happens - but if anyone knows if that makes sense - let me know.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:16 AM
  • If you have multiple defective drives, it's possible that you had a power surge which damaged drive electronics, or that you have a failing HBA, or that you have a failing external enclosure, or a failing cable connecting your external enclosure to your server. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:49 PM
  • So how does one go about determining the issue?  That's a lot of possibles to research.  The server sits quietly in a data closet so hard to believe the cable would "fail" - is there a way to test the cable and the Enclosure somehow?

Update: actually, one of the bad drives was in an external 4 drive enclosure - the other was in a separate single external enclosure - so 2 different cables involved.  The 4 drive is attached to a Port Multiplier add in card, the other was attached direct to the Motherboard via an extension cable (one of those giznos that plugs into the SATA port on the MB and takes up a solt for an add in card - providing a pseudo eSATA port on the back of the PC).  So seems to be a surge perhaps?  But I'm on a heavy duty APC UPS device...so seems a bit of a stretch?

• Edited by Puulima Monday, January 14, 2013 3:37 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:25 PM