Deactivation of License Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have two computers. In one computer I have installed Vista Premium and activated the Key
    and using for last 6 Months. In 2nd Computer I have Windows 2000.
    Now I have bought Vista Ultimate (full version). I am now planning to replace Vista premium on 1st Computer with Vista Ultimate and install the previously used Vista premium in the 2nd. What steps I need to deactivate the Vista premium license key. So that I can do clean install Vista Ultimate by formating the disk.

Can any one answer my question 
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hasnine,

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  Windows Operating Systems are available in:  OEM-SLP, OEM (System builder/COA), Retail User, and Volume Licensing Key (VLK) versions. In turn each version will have their own End User Licensing Agreements (EULA’s).   Depending on what version you currently have would dictate the transferability and license terms.  Please read your End User Licensing Agreement (EULA). In order to read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA. 
    Below are brief descriptions to help you understand more. 

OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Systems must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will be not able to login to system without activation.

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

1. Single Retail User License:  Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer. Each Windows Vista installation has a unique product key associated with it.  System must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will not be able to login to system without activation.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

PID format: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-23XXX and XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-45XXX

As a rule, VLK editions of an Operating System should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Vista are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Should you need further guidance please visit Find License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft at the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/
    Also Non-WGA questions are handled @ the following forum Windows Vista discussion groups located here:   
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx . 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:59 PM