MSCS Clustering the OCS Archiving Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, has anyone used MS Clustering services to cluster the MSMQ and Archiving server role in OCS 2007 R2? Or, is this a supported configuration. I can't find any reference to it in the supportability and planning guides.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• It may be available in a later version, but not the the current version.
    • Marked as answer by Pseudonym81 Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• I haven't done it in R2, but I am running it in that configuration in R1.  Basically, OCS doesn't care - you just need to point everything to the Virtual IP of the archiving server.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Thanks  that is good to know. Do you actually cluster the services - MSMQ and/or archiving role, or just install the services on both servers then point the front end to a virtual IP?
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Maybe I misunderstood where you want to cluster.  I don't know about the archive server itself, but we do cluster the SQL server that the archive server uses.  We set up the SQL Clustered server and then have a single archive server that points to the clustered server to store the data.

I've never read that OCS itself is cluster aware.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Additional note:

I just found a paper from Microsoft talking about Unified Communications & high availability:

Q:     What licenses do I need to use Office Communications Server 2007’s high availability features?

A:     The SQL Server back-end databases used for presence and journaling support native SQL availability options like clustering and replication. None of the other Office Communications Server 2007 server roles support clustering, Instead, you can add service redundancy by collecting servers into server pools, or by using hardware network load balancers for edge servers, media gateways, and directors. The Enterprise Edition server license is required to use pools; however, you can use Office Communications Server Enterprise Edition on Windows Server Standard or Enterprise Editions.

From: https://partner.microsoft.com/download/global/40046265

• Proposed as answer by exMSFT Monday, June 15, 2009 9:33 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:12 PM
  • We support storing the archiving database in a clusted SQL instance. However in 2007 R2 I am afraid we do not support using a clustered MSMQ for transporting data from the front end to the archiving server (this would require installing the archiving service itself inside the cluster as well.)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Thanks, I was interested in clustering the archiving layer, not the SQL Server.

Do you know if clustering is supported in R2 or later for the archiving role, (also the GCC Compliance role). We have the requirement to stop the front end servers if archiving is unavailable. However, as each front end can only map to one archiving role, it means that an archiving server failure causes the entire pool to shutdown.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:53 AM
  • It may be available in a later version, but not the the current version.
    • Marked as answer by Pseudonym81 Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Recommendation for this scenario in R2 is what we call a 'split pool'.

If you have (say) 4 front ends in a pool, configure 2 of them to write to archiving server A, and the other 2 to write to archiving server B. If A fails, 2 of your FEs will shut down, but the other two will still be available, so your pool will still be up, albeit with reduced capacity.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:56 PM