download multiple files and folders from Windows Home Server problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone i have the following problem when i try to download multiple files and folders from Windows Home Server i got the following message
    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error
    when i try to download one file there is no problem at all only when i try to download multiple files and folders
    Any help?
    Regards
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hmm. I suspect the Outlook for WHS installer of causing your issues, but I'm honestly not certain. And I don't know why it would have; while I don't use it I know that others do.

I would suggest you consult your documentation on the correct procedure for a server recovery. That's what HP calls the non-destructive version of resetting your system to it's base state; I assume that Acer uses a similar term. That's as opposed to a "factory reset", which will wipe all the data off your server.

As for fixing it short of reinstallation, unfortunately something has either broken a file association or broken the components that your server uses for collecting multiple files and sending them in a single .zip or .exe file. A reinstallation/recovery is the only way you're likely to be able to recover; there's no documented or supported procedure for reinstalling just a single component on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Sussilue Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:23 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• Have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed through remote desktop or physical console? Changed anything outside the console?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:42 PM
  • just remove 3 Add-ins and now there is nothing installed but the problem is there :-(
    any help will be nice
    Regards
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:28 PM
  • just remove 3 Add-ins and now there is nothing installed but the problem is there :-(
    any help will be nice
    Regards

The only supported method is Server Reinstallation (which wipes the OS partition, but leaves all of the data in tact).  However, just out of curiosity, which add-ins did you have (and subsequently removed)?  Also, when you try to download multiple files, do you get the "How do you want to download your files?" window, or do you immediately get the error message?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I would still like to know what add-ins you had installed, and what other customizations you might have done, such as installing utility software from the server desktop (anything outside the console itself, which doesn't give you desktop access).
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 7:08 PM
  • i remove the following add-ins: Asoft autoexit 2008 r2 for WHS , outlook for WHS installer and WHS Disk Management add-in
    and i do get the  "How do you want to download your files?" window, and after that it dosen't matter with option i do choice i get the error
    Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error
    litlel info : The WHS is a on ACER Aspire easystore H340
    Regards
    And thx for all you reply
    And sorry for my poor english
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Hmm. I suspect the Outlook for WHS installer of causing your issues, but I'm honestly not certain. And I don't know why it would have; while I don't use it I know that others do.

I would suggest you consult your documentation on the correct procedure for a server recovery. That's what HP calls the non-destructive version of resetting your system to it's base state; I assume that Acer uses a similar term. That's as opposed to a "factory reset", which will wipe all the data off your server.

As for fixing it short of reinstallation, unfortunately something has either broken a file association or broken the components that your server uses for collecting multiple files and sending them in a single .zip or .exe file. A reinstallation/recovery is the only way you're likely to be able to recover; there's no documented or supported procedure for reinstalling just a single component on your server.
    • Marked as answer by Sussilue Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:23 AM
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:30 PM