Connector software won't uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• On my Win 7 64bit connector will not uninstall, message " There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program ru n as a part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor" keeps popping up. Launchpad has been terminated before uninstall attempt, Windows Server Media Connect service has been stopped after numerous attempts, too.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Did you try
    * Manually stopping all service starting with the name "Windows Server" before strating the uninstall?
    * Downloading the client connector installer to your desktop and start it from ther?

And please also file a bug report on Connect?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:09 PM
  • On my Win 7 64bit connector will not uninstall, message " There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program ru n as a part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor" keeps popping up. Launchpad has been terminated before uninstall attempt, Windows Server Media Connect service has been stopped after numerous attempts, too.
    Are you trying to uninstall Vail connector software, or v1 software?  If v1, did you install the Vail connector software before trying to uninstall v1 software?
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:13 AM
  • @ Theo van Elsberg

yes, I tried both of your suggestions to no avail.

@kariya21

I was referring to vail connector software, v1 connector never was on this system.

I will file a bug on connect, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something already known.

Thanks,

Manfred

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Had to re-install my server due to a hardware problem.

Wanted to re-connect, but was not possible, it said the computer had already been connected to the network and the connector software had to be removed and re-installed to connect to the newly installed server.

Now, looking at the original problem, what am I supposed to do? I'd rather not have to do a reinstall of windows on my workstation.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 12:51 PM
  • You need to manually uninstall the Vail connector through Add or Remove Programs, then install it again. The Vail connector doesn't automatically uninstall an old installation of the connector prior to reinstalling, and per Microsoft on a bug I submitted a couple of weeks ago, this hard stop is intentional, so unlikely to change.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:45 PM
  • I did that, it did not work as described in post n1.

I manually removed the installation directory, and deleted all entries in the registry referring to Windows Server and the connect software.

I then used ccleaner to clean up the registry.

Tried to install connector afterwards, came up with the same error.

I'm at the end of my wits for now how to get rid of the old vail connector remains.

BTW, connect bug ID for this one is 564444.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:27 AM
  • > I then used ccleaner to clean up the registry.

Not the best choice for this. Especially when intending to do a bugreport and not also including this use in the bugreport.

Btw, I managed to do the install when I had problems by setting the region/language to US(A) and the timezone to PST and rebooting the machine *twice*. Maybe this can help you 2.

I did that, it did not work as described in post n1.

I manually removed the installation directory, and deleted all entries in the registry referring to Windows Server and the connect software.

I then used ccleaner to clean up the registry.

Tried to install connector afterwards, came up with the same error.

I'm at the end of my wits for now how to get rid of the old vail connector remains.

BTW, connect bug ID for this one is 564444.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:48 PM