Reinstall XP after Vista Downgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my company laptop is comes with Vista and downgraded to XP Pro.  Recently i had some problem and need to reformat it.  I am currently off site, and i only have xp pro cd available.  But when i copy down the product key (using some utility) and try to reinstall XP after formating, it say the product key is not valid.  I also tried using the vista product key shown on the sticker on the laptop.

so how do i reinstall xp from a downgraded xp?   must it get the Downgrade CD from my IT dept and reformat / reinstall my system again?

thanks
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:49 AM

Answers

• You need to use the Windows XP installation CD you used originally.  Contact your IT department for assistance.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:12 PM

All replies

• You need to use the Windows XP installation CD you used originally.  Contact your IT department for assistance.
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:12 PM
  • city_ash,

As Carey had mentioned you will most likely need to contact the systems administrator of your company
    because of the licensing used for OEM's verses individual retail licenses.

How have you acquired the Windows XP CD product key? From your company or is it a retail copy of Windows Professional XP?  You can check the validity of Windows XP Professional using the validation tool here at: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en

Otherwise, please contact the system administrator of your company for further support.

Lori MS

Lori MS
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:51 PM