Sharing media on Vista PC with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Vista Home Premium PC that is functioning as my Home Theater system and TIVO. It records from TV has lots of movies, music, etc. I want to leave it there, share it with my Windows Home Server and then be able to access it from outside my home. I d not want to move it to the Home server because:

• I have 3 X 750GB drives in the Theater PC, with a lot of data. Right now it is backed up on Home Server drives. So it resides once on Theater PC and once on Home Serve.
    • If I move it to the Home Server either i will have only one copy of the media, or else I turn on duplication and then I have two copies on the Home Server and it gets filled up while my Theater PC sits with all of the drives empty. 
    • I realize I could move the drives from the Theater to the Home Server but it already has 3 drives. And I wanted to have redundancy on two separate computers in case one goes down.

Can I do this?

Thanks for any help!!

Friday, November 14, 2008 10:03 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server can only share (through it's shares) files that are physically resident on drives directly connected to the server and part of the storage pool. So as described no, you can't do what you want.

The recommended configuration at this time is a variant on the configuration you currently have. You would continue to use Vista Home Premium as your HTPC, but you would configure Vista through registry edits to store recorded media and the DVD library on your server (see The Green Button for more information). 

This configuration would get the media onto your server, stored in shares with (presumably) share duplication turned on. The files would be srreamable (if in a recognized format) by WHS, and would be accessible in the shares from any otehr device capable of dealing with Windows file shares. It would also reduce the data being backed up, which would reduce both the size of the backup database and the amount of time it takes to back up that HTPC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 14, 2008 10:18 PM