off topic - Sleep mode problem! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• After accidentally clicking the orange sleepmode button on Windows Vista. I could not return to an "awake" state. Many tips suggest a "hard restart" which i have tried doing countless times. This problem has occured once before, which I solved by attaching a new monitor to the computer. The previous solutions have not worked and I am desperate for any tips that would help to return from the sleepmode. The monitor on the computer will not start up and the devices attached to the computer are in an unresponsive state. The devices inside the computer, graphics card, mother board, ect. have all started, but nothing will progress from there.

-PS I have another computer which runs on XP which I am currently using so I cannot access the computer's software.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 7:09 PM

All replies

• You might try the Vista newsgroups for help with this - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

If you open Power Options in Control Panel you can change the action of the Power Button in the Vista start menu from the default Sleep to Shut Down. The computer I'm posting from will not wake from sleep so if you ever find a solution please post back.

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:13 PM
  • You might try holding the power button on the PC down for about 10 seconds or so to force the hard boot. Simply depressing it will usually not let it shut down when it is in that state.

If it is a desktop PC, remove the power plug from the power outlet for a few minutes if the above doesn't work. If it is a laptop, remove it from AC power *and* remove and replace the battery. That will shut it down hard.

-steve

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:01 AM