problems with Uninstall & reinstall of OCS standard 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I applied the latest hot fixes to a perfectly working OCS 2007 R2 environment , which caused the voice part of the system stop functioning ('Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Signaling.SignalingSessionExtensions' from assembly 'Microsoft.Rtc.Collaboration, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, )

I decided to follow the procedure listed in Technet to deactivate the services OCS standard , but somehow I must have made a mistake following the procedure, as after the removal  and when I tred reinstalling the OCS standard for the second time, the installation process inherits all the settings from teh first install and validation fails with an error message that "one or more pool hosted users are enabled for telephony .... " and that is despite of me deleting all OCS users in the active directory.

I have tried the uninstall and reinstall process few times but keep running into the same issue.

Is there a published proceudre for me to use ADSIEDIT and clean up the active directory schema (anything that has to do with OCS 2007) , remove all RTC* groups and accounts and start from scratch? Is there a published procedure on how to clean up the AD schema as it is related to OCS install? 
    On the old server, where does teh install process reads the old configuration parameters? Is there a procedure out there to remove all references to the old OCS configuration on the server, am I better off using a new server , instead of trying to install the software on the old front end box?

jaytaba@hotmail.com

Some additional info on the uninstall process (that is not working for me), I use the order below to uninstall the software:
  • Application Host
  • Application Sharing Server
  • Audio/Video Conferencing Server
  • Conferencing Announcement Service
  • Conferencing Attendant
  • Outside Voice Control
  • Response Group Service
  • Web Conferencing Server
  • Standard Edition Server (Front-End)
  • Managed API 2.0 Core Redist 64-bit
  • Managed API 2.0 Speech Redist x64
  • Managed API 2.0 Windows Workflow Activities Redist
  • Server Speech Language Pack (en-us)
  • Web Components Server
  • Administrative Tools
  • Core Components
  • However, despite of me deactivating all services, when uninstalling the "Audio/video  conferencing server", "Conferencing Attendant", "outside Voice Control", "Response Group Service" I get an error message:
    "One or more Services that were installed by this product are still active, ....... , obsolete computer or domain settings will remain in the Active Directory. Do you want to continue?"
    Consequently in the services.msc console I still see these four services  (conf announcements, .....Response group)

• Edited by jaytaba Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:49 PM
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• Take a look at theses two articles for more details on removing and deactiving components, as well as manually cleaning up OCS configuration data stored in Active Directory:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=31
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=13

Note that these articles were written prior to R2, so depending on your deployment the AD settings may be stored in either the System or Configuration container.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Jeff,

Thanks for your suggstions, I followed your links and ran the following two commands
    lcscmd.exe /Domain:mydomain.local /Action:DomainUnPrep
    lcscmd.exe /Forest:mydomain.local /Action:ForestUnprep
    Removed the software successfully and managed to reinstall the OCS Std with no problem. The issue now is the option to enable the users in dsa.msc for Comm-
    unication Server has disappeared.
    Any suggestions on how to add the capability back to my AD Users & Computers?

My AD Functional level is 2008
    One more thing I notice is that everytime I add a new user to the AD, under the security tab, there are four S-1-5-21-34xxxxxxxxx  (unknown objects show up), I assume that this is an indication that something went wrong with my unpreparation process of the Forest/Domain.

jaytaba@hotmail.com
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:43 PM
  • hi
    You can create user accounts in ADDS through the Dsa.msc.
    But ensure that you log on as a member of the Domain Admins group to a server that is joined to an AD domain that has the Office Communicates Server administrative tools installed.
    You can refer to below link:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441206(office.13).aspx 

About your second question, like "S-1-5-21-34xxxxxxxxx", it is the SID of the users that you have deleted from the domain, so you can delete them. 
    But, please ensure that which users you must add permissions for the file, i think you maybe have done before for some users.

If i misunderstand your issue, please tell me.
    Regards! 
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Since too many things went wrong with my uninstall process, i.e. orphan SID's & services that did not uninstall & .... I decided to rebuild the lab from scratch in a new AD domain. All systems are working as expected. I have now mastered the OCS's install and uninstall process and learned the lesson for not setting up a OCS lab in the prod AD environment, take a full system back up before making any new change to the environment and not to apply hot service packs without testing them first .
    If I was going to  do this all over again (uninstall the old OCS and re install the OCS again), I would just simply deactivate the services, unistall them in the proper order , delete the old database and would skip all the steps related to un prep of the domain and forest.  

jaytaba@hotmail.com
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:11 PM