WWT new feature for full dome projector alignment/blend RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My name is Marcos Ackel and I'm helping to introduce WWT in a small planetarium (Zeiss ZKP4 - two projectors) we have in Belo Horizonte - Brazil. The planetarium is a non-profit initiative between the university (UFMG - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais) and a private company (TIM) and all sessions are for free. We have only 5 movies for the theater and my intention is to use WWT and it's spetacular resources to produce content to the shows.
    I was studying the Projection Designer but, after reading an article from Jonathan Fay in the WWT Blog I see that I was going in the "old" direction. I'm using the last (LayerScape) version of WWT and it would be very nice if we could have more information about the alinment/blend processes using the new features.
    Thank you in advance,
    Marcos Ackel
    Friday, April 13, 2012 4:08 AM

Answers

• Why type of projection system does that use. Currently we support Either single channel fisheye or warped fisheye, or multi-channel warped projection. Multi-channel Fisheye can be accomplished, but our tools don't support it directly, you must create the warps thru hands on-editing of the files, and we don't have any documentation on it as of yet.

We have been working with a few planeratiums with multi-fisheye support, but we are not yet to a fully supported process yet.

Jonathan

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• Why type of projection system does that use. Currently we support Either single channel fisheye or warped fisheye, or multi-channel warped projection. Multi-channel Fisheye can be accomplished, but our tools don't support it directly, you must create the warps thru hands on-editing of the files, and we don't have any documentation on it as of yet.

We have been working with a few planeratiums with multi-fisheye support, but we are not yet to a fully supported process yet.

Jonathan

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Hello Jonathan,

thanks for the answer.

The system uses multi-channel warped projection. I could make Projection Designer work, but, as you mentioned in your article ("WorldWide Telescope Full Dome Planetarium Align, Blend, Authoring & More - at WWT Data Blog), the new processes seems to be much easier - that's what I'm looking for.

Inside WWT Windows client there is a "Multi-Channel Calibration"  (at   MENU/Settings/Advanced) that seems to be the tool you mentioned in your article, but I couldn't understand how to make it work and couldn't find anything about it on the Internet. Do you have any instruction or documentation about this tool? Anything would help, even if you write a few lines about how to use the tool.

About the multi-fisheye planetariums, we're also very interested, and it would help very much if you could send at least an example of the warp files you mentioned - I supose they could be built using the Projection Designer (or the new tool) - am I right?

Thank you,

Marcos Ackel

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I can't concieve of how two non-fisheye lens projectors could cover a 360x180 dome. Is this a partial coverage or full dome?

The WWT projection calibration and solver can work with 5,6 or more channels, but is optimised for the 6 channel solution.

Fewer than 5 channels can be accomplished but eventually you reach the limit of what projection math can do and you won't be able to create a frustum that large.

Jonathan

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Marcos,

There is more help on the multi-channel calibration tool in the help file than I was able to find online. 

Go to - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Microsoft WorldWide Telescope\Help

Look under Configuration > Multi-Projector Config > Master computer Setup

Good luck!

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Hello Marcos,

we're also running a planetarium with ZKP4 and a two projector fisheye video projection system (Velvet Duo). Did you have any success with WWT and Fisheye Alignment? Is your projection system also center based?

Regards,
    Christian

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:33 PM
  • The new Eclipse Alpha has a new Dual truncated fisheye calibration system using the Calibration system. We have tested it in a E&S dual fisheye system and it works great.

Please contact me at jfay at Microsoft dot com if you have a need for it.

Jonathan Fay

Principal Architect, Worldwide Telescope

Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:21 PM