I want a refund!! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought windows home server to first, keep a redundant copy of my files, and second, to do file sharing, and pc back ups. now about a week ago I had a disk failure, now since I bought WHS for the redundancy of data ( folders did have replication enabled ) that I would have no problems, no such luck. I lost every file that I had replicated on that drive ( about 500Gb) , now to make things interesting, microsoft released an update KB950193, the updates address my very issue. I seems that PP1 introduced a bug that made WHS just a file death trap during a disk failure. I want a refund, or for microsoft to pay for professional data restoring, and a testing team that does not leave gapping holes in betas go to release. I will also try to seek legal counsel to see if I have a case.
    C.S.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    the files could be still there.
    Logon directly to the server (or via Remote Desktop using account name Administrator and as password your console password) and check the contents of following folders in Windows Explorer (you will need to go to Folder Options and on the View tab enable Show hidden files and folders first):
    D:\DE\shares
    c:\fs\<drive>\DE\shares (assuming this is the disk gone, so it may not be there).

This being said, folder duplication has the same issues as RAID, if it comes to a situation, in which files are changed due to something else - how can be decide, if the change was intended or due to some going wild piece of hardware or software? So if this is not the ideal situation, that the disk is going away instantly, broken data may be replicated.
    And what would happen, if the hardware goes poof due to overvoltage, fire, being stolen? Depend from one machine without backup to an external device is always bad. While for the saved client a second instance is the still running client, the same is not true for shared folders.

This is why with Power Pack 1 the feature to backup the server to an external harddisk has been introduced.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Please contact the Windows Home Server team so we can gather more information.  Thanks!
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:43 PM