problem with antiviruses altogether RRS feed

• Question

•  

i just purchased a toshiba satellite l350 notebook. eversince i hooked up my internet connection which is a vpn ive been having problems... i havent been able to find an antivirus that goes with this vista ***...

st first when i downloaded liveonecare it wouldnt connect to the internet at all until i turned off the the firewall and then it did connect for a moment. after that moment it disconnected again so i went to the firewall advanced settings and added pptp/vpn as an option and that solved the problem. however, i play poker in pokerstars and havnt been able to open it up eversince... and sometimes my internet explorer doesnt work either.. and they did work perfectly fine when there were no antiviruses at all, which isnt safe so im asking what i can do to improve these connections to ie and pokerstars?

emily- israel

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:41 PM

Answers

• Emily, in your sig you sign off with "israel." Are you located in Israel? If so, OneCare is not sold in Israel, so I assume that you are using a trial copy.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Brazil (Portuguese), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Hong Kong (English), Ireland (English), India (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

If you wish to continue to use OneCare you will need to obtain a retail key from a country where it is sold and use it to activate a subscription.

For your current problem, I believe that your issue has to do with the firewall settings, though I can't tell you what you might need to select to make it work effectively over your VPN connection. Since you actually have it working, though, even intermittently, I'm inclined to think that you have actually set the correct exceptions for VPN in the ports and protocols tab. What kind of VPN connection is this? Is there VPN client software involved?

I can't speak for your poker game, though. Perhaps that needs other ports opened or if it is a local program that needs network access, you'll need to allow it.

The best I can offer is that you should contact support - which will be via email if you are in fact in Israel:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:20 AM