Genuine Office Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Is Microsoft trying to run a scam????? I have owned this computer for several years and the software came with the computer. I am sure Dell is on the up and up. Now Microsoft is telling me the software is not genuine. Give me a break. Just another reason for my next computer to be an Apple.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:30 PM

Answers

• Is Microsoft trying to run a scam????? I have owned this computer for several years and the software came with the computer. I am sure Dell is on the up and up. Now Microsoft is telling me the software is not genuine. Give me a break. Just another reason for my next computer to be an Apple.

Instead of some fiendish plot to make you buy another copy of Office, maybe, just maybe it could be that at some time during those several years, you had the computer repaired and in the process of fixing the PC, the repair guy had to reinstall Office and instead of contacting you to get the proper Product Key, he just downloaded a pirated copy off the internet.

I can tell you that the Repair Shop Scenario is the #1 cause of people (that actually own a Genuine copy of Office or Windows) to receive a Non-genuine message.  This is Not a False Positive, despite owning Genuine software, the software that is actually installed is, in fact, non-genuine.

Most likely, the fix for your issue would be to uninstall the Non-Genuine Office, and reinstall using the Office Reinstall Disk and Office Product Key that came with the computer.

If that doesn't work, post your Diagnostic Report and we'll see what the situation is.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:47 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hello A2743,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:11 PM

Instead of some fiendish plot to make you buy another copy of Office, maybe, just maybe it could be that at some time during those several years, you had the computer repaired and in the process of fixing the PC, the repair guy had to reinstall Office and instead of contacting you to get the proper Product Key, he just downloaded a pirated copy off the internet.

I can tell you that the Repair Shop Scenario is the #1 cause of people (that actually own a Genuine copy of Office or Windows) to receive a Non-genuine message.  This is Not a False Positive, despite owning Genuine software, the software that is actually installed is, in fact, non-genuine.

Most likely, the fix for your issue would be to uninstall the Non-Genuine Office, and reinstall using the Office Reinstall Disk and Office Product Key that came with the computer.

If that doesn't work, post your Diagnostic Report and we'll see what the situation is.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:47 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Sorry Darin but you are very wrong, my Thinkpad came with Vista installed a year ago, it's never been to any shop but I started getting the "not genuine" message today after an MS update. I spent the afternoon getting my codes and they still don't work! The same thing happened to a friend with a new Dell. Once again MS messed up!!!!
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Hello cpatrick1717,

Please do not piggyback on someone else's post---please start your own thread in this forum.

When you do, please follow these instructions:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Sorry Darin but you are very wrong, my Thinkpad came with Vista installed a year ago, it's never been to any shop but I started getting the "not genuine" message today after an MS update. I spent the afternoon getting my codes and they still don't work! The same thing happened to a friend with a new Dell. Once again MS messed up!!!!

Please post your Diagnostic Report (in a new thread). In my years working in this forum, I have rarely seen a Non-Genuine message that occured for no reason. But without a Diagnostic Report, I have no information in which to suggest a fix nor any way to confirm or refute your claim that Microsoft "messed up".

Darin MS
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:57 PM