Why is SyncToy syncronizing deselected folders? RRS feed

• Question

• I use SncToy at my office for people to synchronize thier documents folder with their home directory on the server.  It seems to work great except that it is still synchronizing folders that I have deselected.  I have gone into the folder setup and right clicked the root level of the target folder and chosen "Deselect this folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS" however it is still synchrnizing the folder.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

• I had a try but didn't see similar behavior.

Try this:

Put a new file in that folder and try selecting that folder or not selecting that folder, then use Preview to see whether there are any differences.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 1:32 AM
    Answerer
  • For what it's worth, sorry I never replied here, I never got an alert.

I think the problem that I was having was that if you deselect a folder and all subfolders, the setting does not apply to any NEW folders that are added.

My scenario:

I don't want people to sync their music files onto their personal share on the server so I deselect the "My Music" folder and all subfolders.  The problem is that since the folder is initially empty (I haven't issued out the PC yet) all their music that's in a sub folder of the "My Music" folder gets syncronized.

I'm pretty sure that this is by design, but I was hoping that there was a way to have it permanently deselect subfolders, including newly created subfolders.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Hi -

This is interesting - and you are right about the fact that this is by design but I will take a look to see what we can do for this in the future.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Hi -

Sorry I found that I could not repro this behaviour. Can you give me some more information about the exact steps that you are following to repro this issue?

This is what I did
    1) Created a folder pair with Synchronize as option.
    2) Picked a top level folder on the left that has a lot of files and folders. On the right it was an empty folder
    3) Deselected all the subfolders and only sync'ed the files.
    4) Added a new subfolder to one of the deselected folders on the left and added a text file underneath that.
    5) Hit sync again - the newly added subfolder and text file were NOT added.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:22 PM
  • I use SncToy at my office for people to synchronize thier documents folder with their home directory on the server.  It seems to work great except that it is still synchronizing folders that I have deselected.  I have gone into the folder setup and right clicked the root level of the target folder and chosen "Deselect this folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS" however it is still synchrnizing the folder.

Anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks.

What do you mean of the root folder? If it is the folder pair 's root folder, then new added folder under this root folder will be synced, but new added sub-subfolders of subfolders under this root folder will not be synced.
    Such as :
                 leftfoler\ lfsub1
                            \ lfsub2
    If you unselect on leftfolder, new added folders directly under leftfolder will be synced, but new added subfolders under lfsub1 and lfsub2 will not be synced.
    Hope this can help you resolve your problems.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:22 AM