Validation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. I contacted Dell Germany for support. The recommended to download Installer 3.1. I had to validate my Windows. I failed the test. I followed the process required by microsoft. Now I have been informed that my Product Key is invalid.  How can a product key displayed on my notebook become invalid. This product key I received from DELL.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and reply  

Friday, July 6, 2007 11:10 AM

Answers

• Mchdr,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Mchdr,

There are situations which can cause Windows and Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example. Have you taken your computer in for maintenance? Customers have taken in their systems along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The customer picks up the system and viola' no problems whatsoever until they need to download an update or even a template used with MS Office. Suddenly their system is non-genuine. The customer's computer was not installed with their software but a blocked version of a product key. Also the software could work for several weeks, months or even a year or more then suddenly becomes blocked. Volume licensing (VLK) are purchased/issued to large corporations, governments, and schools for example in order to make software installation easier for the mass computers located withing their areas. In turn if the key becomes compromised then the government, school etc requests Microsoft to block that key and reissue another key. 

Hopefully this has provided just one example as how this may happen.  Please run the diag test Dan mentioned and post here in the forum so I may analyze your particular situation.  Thank you very much and have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:58 PM

All replies

• Mchdr,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Mchdr,

There are situations which can cause Windows and Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example. Have you taken your computer in for maintenance? Customers have taken in their systems along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The customer picks up the system and viola' no problems whatsoever until they need to download an update or even a template used with MS Office. Suddenly their system is non-genuine. The customer's computer was not installed with their software but a blocked version of a product key. Also the software could work for several weeks, months or even a year or more then suddenly becomes blocked. Volume licensing (VLK) are purchased/issued to large corporations, governments, and schools for example in order to make software installation easier for the mass computers located withing their areas. In turn if the key becomes compromised then the government, school etc requests Microsoft to block that key and reissue another key. 

Hopefully this has provided just one example as how this may happen.  Please run the diag test Dan mentioned and post here in the forum so I may analyze your particular situation.  Thank you very much and have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:58 PM