none
Unable to Access Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I originally set up my WHS with the Guest account enabled and everything worked fine.  Yesterday I added my user IDs with passwords to the Home Server Console and disabled the console and now I can't get to the shared folders from one of my machines.    When I click on the server icon in the network folder, I get a login screen then a message saying I'm not authorized...but I am.   I can log into the server and see that the user ID is there.  I'm also getting balloons above the WHS systray icon saying that the passwords on my machine and on the server don't match -- but I've retyped it multiple times and they *do* match. 

So... what's the next step in figuring out what is wrong.

Athena
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• Take a look at this FAQ, check what is suggests you check, and see if helps.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Athena... _ Friday, June 12, 2009 11:09 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• Take a look at this FAQ, check what is suggests you check, and see if helps.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Athena... _ Friday, June 12, 2009 11:09 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Actually, I think I found the source of the problem and it seems to be confirmed by the FAQ

My UserID is 13 characters long (with an embedded space).   That's what shows up on the Vista Login and that is what I enrolled in the users section of  the WHS console.   When I start up my machine, I get a WHS message that says:

"Windows Home Server does not recognize your user account.  
    A user account with logon name "xxxxxx xxxx" does not exist on the home server"

The message is correct because the last 2 characters of my logon ID are not included.  

echo %username% returns the shortened name (and I just realized that the name is cut off in the User Tree too). 

Update:  When I ran userpasswords2, I saw the shortened name and corrected it there too.  Voilà...I can get into my server with no problem.

After thinking about it a bit, I remembered that the first time I started this machine, my little finger activated enter on the touchpad before I had acutally finished typing.   Before I did anything else, I clicked my name at the top of the start menu and corrected it.   As your FAQ notes though, that doesn't actually change the UserID, just the display name.   I've been working on this machine for 3 weeks now and never realized that the User ID hadn't been corrected.

So your FAQ was spot on and I'm a happy camper.   Thank you.

FWIW, I suspect this  explains why I was locked out of my laptop when I attempted to enable the fingerprint reader last Sunday --a fiasco that required using the WHS recovery routine to get back in.  I guess I should be glad that the Guest ID was still enabled at that point.

Athena
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:18 PM