none
Text formatting lost after reply is submitted RRS feed

• Question

• At this thread -

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/e8a2ab8d-9166-4132-a7e6-dda992dd8389

in this reply -

What should i set the default value too ? please let me know..thanks

to an empty collection:

If My.Settings.FavouritesIs Nothing Then
                My
    .Settings.Favourites= New Specialized.StringCollection

End If

I have highlighted the New Specialized.StringCollection in italics.  It is OK in the editor (and it's OK when I copy and paste it into the editor in this post) but the highlighting disappears when the reply or edit is submitted.  This has also happened in other replies where I tried to use bold as the highlighting.

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:14 AM

Answers

• Acamar,

that`s all based on the new ui design of the forum. Your formatting isn`t lost, but is not shown in the new style. You can check this by yourself by changing the url of the thread. Change the en-US to en-GB and you will see the italics again.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:49 AM
  • The style sheet is provided by MSFT along with the web page source. (Look for the .css references in the source code.) There is not much you can do to modify it. I understand there are ways to use custom style sheets with any page you want, but I've no experience with browser plugins (or whatever the approach is) that do that.

You'll just have to hope that the next forum update will fix this or, as a temporary solution, update your forum links to use the en-GB locale for example... As mentioned by Heslacher here and me in another thread.

Any search engine will find tons of introductions, tutorials and such that explain CSS better than I could ever manage.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:34 AM

All replies

• HI Acamar !

You need to Insert Code using "Insert Code Block" button appearing on top of your reply pane.

Like you already did in your earlier replies.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Acamar,

that`s all based on the new ui design of the forum. Your formatting isn`t lost, but is not shown in the new style. You can check this by yourself by changing the url of the thread. Change the en-US to en-GB and you will see the italics again.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:49 AM
  • I have not used italics (or any other form of highlighting) in the code portion of any of the earlier posts in that thread, so I am not sure what you mean by "Like you already did in your earlier replies".  I would not normally highlight portions of code.

The text that is not being correctly highlighted is not code - it is plain text copied from an earlier post.  It was not highlighted in that earlier post.  I am trying to highlight it (with italics) in this post.

It is formatted correctly in the editor.  It is formatted correctly in this thread.  It is only when it is displayed in the thread view in that thread that the highlighting gets lost.  If there was some stricture on the type of text that can or can't be formatted like this, it would apply in the editor as well as in the thread view, and it would apply to all threads.

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Your formatting isn`t lost, but is not shown in the new style. You can check this by yourself by changing the url of the thread. Change the en-US to en-GB and you will see the italics again

I like the theory, but when I open the post in the editor with URL en-US the formatting is there (so I was aware that it wasn't lost).  I can understand that the new forum design has removed the text formatting option for a particular language (although I am mystified as to why) but surely if what I see in the editor is not what appears in the post, for the same language, that's a fault.

Either remove it as an editing option, or re-instate it for the threading view.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:51 AM
  • It would seem that you're not familiar with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets.)

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a simple mechanism for adding style (e.g., fonts, colors, spacing) to Web documents. (From W3C)

In this case the en-US locale uses a different style sheet than the en-GB. This style sheet defines how certain formatting tags (or any tag you wish to style) behave. For example, the new style sheet here has the <strong> and <em> tags defined in such a way that the text inside them in fact looks like regular text.

So, the underlying web page is the same (for the parts that matter in this case), the browser just renders it differently. The functionality of a web site doesn't usually change (Although it is possible at some level) when changing the style sheet.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:53 AM
  • It would seem that you're not familiar with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets.)

Then perhaps you might offer to improve my understanding of CSS so that I can fix this problem and restore the formatting for italics, bold and underlining, so that the post is consistent with the editor.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:00 AM
  • The style sheet is provided by MSFT along with the web page source. (Look for the .css references in the source code.) There is not much you can do to modify it. I understand there are ways to use custom style sheets with any page you want, but I've no experience with browser plugins (or whatever the approach is) that do that.

You'll just have to hope that the next forum update will fix this or, as a temporary solution, update your forum links to use the en-GB locale for example... As mentioned by Heslacher here and me in another thread.

Any search engine will find tons of introductions, tutorials and such that explain CSS better than I could ever manage.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:34 AM
  • The style sheet is provided by MSFT along with the web page source.

Precisely.  My familiarity or otherwise with CSS is not relevant to the problem and does not require comment.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I was merely trying to explain what's happening. If that is of no interest to you, that's fine. Sorry for any inconvenience.

As for the issue, I've noticed this too. I agree it is a problem. Myself and others have mentioned this in several threads in this forum and others. In the mean time, I'm sufring with the en-GB locale.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Acamar Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:56 PM
  • It has been a problem for some time that what you see in the editor is not what you get after you click save. I also have seen several situations (not always) where my HTML is stripped out after I click save, such as when I attempt to specify a fixed-width font for code, or when I attempt to specify a border. Fortunately, the new forum code used in the msdn forums is not yet deployed to the TechNet forums.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:48 PM
  • I also experience this issue.  Is there a but posted on Microsoft Connect?  (Does Connect even have areas for these forums?)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Testing bold.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Saturday, November 3, 2012 10:58 AM
    Owner
  • Testing Passed.

The bolding is not an issue in this place. Please refer to the comment above:  "It is formatted correctly in the editor.  It is formatted correctly in this thread.  It is only when it is displayed in the thread view in that thread that the highlighting gets lost.".  The problem is specific to the forums mentioned.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:45 PM
  • @Amcar

Sorry, testing may have passed for you, but it fails in any forum where the new styling has been applied. This particluar forum has not (yet) been switched to the new format, which is why you can see the bold test passing.

This new style is stripping out the bold & italics from all posts in the affected forums.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:25 AM