Backup and Restore a PC that has Pointsec encryption RRS feed

• Question

• My win 7 (32Bit) PC has in the past successfully been restored from its  backup images on my WHS.

If Pointsec encryption is installed , what issues will I have ( if any) with backups and restores to and from WHS?

TIA
    Ron

Sunday, October 3, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• From experience, Pointsec encrypted PC does not work with WHS backup.  The way pointsec works seems to alter the clusters in such a way the WHS cant read them.

This was a few years ago now, so unless things have changed with either WHS or Pointsec, I would expect the same today.

Cheers...Matt

• Marked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:11 PM

All replies

• Backups will be in an unencrypted state. If there's a business requirement for encryption, presumably the data on that computer is sensitive in nature; in that case best practice would be to not back it up to your server, because anyone with the console password has access to the contents of the backups.

If you're considering encryption "just because", don't. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 4, 2010 12:53 PM
  • From experience, Pointsec encrypted PC does not work with WHS backup.  The way pointsec works seems to alter the clusters in such a way the WHS cant read them.

This was a few years ago now, so unless things have changed with either WHS or Pointsec, I would expect the same today.

Cheers...Matt

• Marked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:34 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJMBLACK Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Matt:

You are right on as I found out two days ago - Pointsec and WHS are not compatable.

Thank You,

Ron

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:37 PM