WHS Server Reinstallation Fails - "The device is not connected" RRS feed

• Question

• I was having some problems with one of my add-ins and decided it would be easier to reinstall WHS to start over than figure out what had messed up.  Boy was I wrong.  I have attempted to do a "Server Reinstallation" twice, both times it fails at the very end with this message:

Installing Windows Home Server failed: The device is not connected. (error code 0x8007048f).

I have a Dell Poweredge SC440 server with a Rosewill RSV-S5 5-bay storage device attached via a Silicon Image port multiplier. My first reinstall attempt I left the Rosewill storage device on and attached and then turned it off for the second reinstall attempt (both reinstalls failed with the same message).  I am suspecting that the error has to do with the OS not recognizing the port multiplier at this point in installation and thus not finding all of the expected hard drives and data shares. But I could be all wrong. 

Any ideas?

I have nearly 5TBs of data on my shares, I just can't lose that data. There's got to be some way to get the install to finish up. 

Thanks.

UPDATE EDIT: 
    I have found that even though the install says it has failed, I can install drivers for the port multiplier and nic. The system now sees the storage pool disks on the Rosewill storage device, and consequently I can open files in my D:/shares folder.  So I restart the computer, and the WHS installer opens again to finish installation. It's at the point where it says "Installing Windows Home Server."  Then, it fails again with the same error as above (The device is not connected).  If I look at the install logs, and compare it to my system event logs, they tell me the install cannot copy the WHSconnector.msi to my shares\software folder. So, I enabled full control sharing permissions on the shares folder, restarted, and nothing is changed.   Grrrr, now what?
    • Edited by SKaustin Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:14 AM update on status
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• After a harrowing ordeal, I finally have everything fixed and working correctly. Since my last update above, I tried pulling the port multiplier card out of my machine, boot up, shut down, add the card back, then boot up again.  This got the server to recognize the drives -- but, in the console they were listed in the storage pool section but grayed out so that I couldn't do anything with them.  I tried to "add" "remove" etc but nothing would work. At this point I read Ken's reply above, but felt it wasn't applicable at my current point and I was so close to figuring it out I didn't want to risk another reinstall.  I then spent a sleepless night tossing and turning trying to figure out a solution.

In the end, I did decide to reinstall again to make sure I was following Ken's advice. I made double sure to load the right drivers at the beginning of the server reinstall process to make sure all 6 drives were visible. However, the installation failed again at the end, just as before. So it wasn't the "load drivers" part of the install that caused issues.  But this time, first thing I did was go to windows update, cleared all the "important updates" that came up, choose the hardware driver update it offered for Silicon Image, and loaded it alone.  Immediately after install of the new driver all my drives were visible and "healthy" in the storage pool.  Yay!!  Then I proceeded to finish up the rest of the updates, and everything is working great now.  Take note that the driver version is the same that I loaded at the beginning of the process today, and that I loaded manually during my reinstall yesterday -- I guess Windows just wanted to discover and load the drivers itself.

I am really, really nervous to ever undertake this again. I have lost confidence in the process, not sure whether to blame the OS install procedure or the hardware itself. Regardless, my takeaway is that WHS sure doesn't like external drives connected through a port multiplier and recogmizing them during install is an area for WHS improvement.
    • Marked as answer by SKaustin Monday, July 13, 2009 3:43 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:43 AM

All replies

• I'm only guessing, but for your re-installations did you supply drivers for all your storage devices at the start of setup? The way you phrase the above post makes me think that you didn't. If that's the case, you can try another reinstallation, but this time you should make sure that all of your drives are visible at the hardware detection screen in the initial graphical setup phase (before the first reboot), and supply drivers for any devices that aren't visible.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:21 AM
  • After a harrowing ordeal, I finally have everything fixed and working correctly. Since my last update above, I tried pulling the port multiplier card out of my machine, boot up, shut down, add the card back, then boot up again.  This got the server to recognize the drives -- but, in the console they were listed in the storage pool section but grayed out so that I couldn't do anything with them.  I tried to "add" "remove" etc but nothing would work. At this point I read Ken's reply above, but felt it wasn't applicable at my current point and I was so close to figuring it out I didn't want to risk another reinstall.  I then spent a sleepless night tossing and turning trying to figure out a solution.

In the end, I did decide to reinstall again to make sure I was following Ken's advice. I made double sure to load the right drivers at the beginning of the server reinstall process to make sure all 6 drives were visible. However, the installation failed again at the end, just as before. So it wasn't the "load drivers" part of the install that caused issues.  But this time, first thing I did was go to windows update, cleared all the "important updates" that came up, choose the hardware driver update it offered for Silicon Image, and loaded it alone.  Immediately after install of the new driver all my drives were visible and "healthy" in the storage pool.  Yay!!  Then I proceeded to finish up the rest of the updates, and everything is working great now.  Take note that the driver version is the same that I loaded at the beginning of the process today, and that I loaded manually during my reinstall yesterday -- I guess Windows just wanted to discover and load the drivers itself.

I am really, really nervous to ever undertake this again. I have lost confidence in the process, not sure whether to blame the OS install procedure or the hardware itself. Regardless, my takeaway is that WHS sure doesn't like external drives connected through a port multiplier and recogmizing them during install is an area for WHS improvement.
    • Marked as answer by SKaustin Monday, July 13, 2009 3:43 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:43 AM
    I would say that to the extent (minor) that there's any blame to apportion at all, you would want to look at the hardware. Something that people tend to forget is that Windows Home Server is not a retail software-only product. What you get when you purchase disks for installation on hardware is a "system builder" package. The installation/configuration process doesn't take into account the technical skills and knowledge of the end user, because all of that is assumed to have been sorted out by the system builder and appropriate choices and configurations will have been made before the end user ever turns on their server.

In the end, it looks like everything has worked out, and at least now you know the exact order that you'll need to apply any updates in next time (which will hopefully never come :) ).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:24 PM