none
How to Insert Blank Lines in Body? RRS feed

• Question

• Noticed for a while now that blank lines are all deleted in the Forum Body (after submission).

Understood that it may be for preventing forum spamming (with blanks) but a lot of times blank lines are a very good tool for formatting messages.

Everybody likes a nicely formatted, visually aided thread with good spacing between paragraphes.

Even more interesting is the line spacing looks pretty good inside the Editor, only to be found undone after submission.

Monday, May 7, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

• Even more interesting is the line spacing looks pretty good inside the Editor, only to be found undone after submission.

See if you can remember to press Shift-Enter instead of just Enter, that would generate a br instead of an empty p (but only single space instead of ostensibly doublespace until the forum software gets ahold of it.) 

FWIW  force of habit of using just Enter is so hard to break and unless you use the HTML source editor to check it is easy to lose track of how many of each you are generating.   ;  }

---

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:06 AM

All replies

• Even more interesting is the line spacing looks pretty good inside the Editor, only to be found undone after submission.

See if you can remember to press Shift-Enter instead of just Enter, that would generate a br instead of an empty p (but only single space instead of ostensibly doublespace until the forum software gets ahold of it.) 

FWIW  force of habit of using just Enter is so hard to break and unless you use the HTML source editor to check it is easy to lose track of how many of each you are generating.   ;  }

---

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:06 AM
  • It fascinates me to see how my puzzlement all this time was resolved by this simple adjustment.  Right on Rob.

(Three Shift-Enters Above)

(Another Three Shift-Enters Above)

One may wonder why technology sometimes requires users to go against their nature in order to function properly, which is something perhaps for a HCI forum.

Cheers.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:29 AM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]" wrote in message news:3dbe6f56-97f0-4ce9-b396-31eeecde3dd2@communitybridge.codepl ex.com...

Or you could add at least two spaces before pressing Enter. This works because when two or more spaces are present, they will be converted to nonbreaking spaces (  in HTML markup).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Thanks Stefan.  I believe there should be a dozen workarounds there but I'm sure most would agree that it is utterly annoying to force yourself to go against your instinct just to make something so simple to work.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Thanks Stefan. I believe there should be a dozen workarounds there but I'm sure most would agree that it is utterly annoying to force yourself to go against your instinct just to make something so simple to work.

Well, this is how HTML seems to work. A completely blank paragraph <p></p> will be ignored by browsers while <p>&nbsp;</p> displays as vertical space.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:27 PM
  • The annoying thing is that Enter has the expected effect while you are in the editor but that is removed after Submit.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:27 PM
  • We definitely do not achieve "What you see is what you get" in the forum editor. I find many blank lines removed (such as before and after code blocks). Worse, we see a fixed-width font in the Code Block editor, but it turns into a proportional font after you submit. And indenting in the code is reduced (4 leading spaces become 2).

Off and on I also find that my HTML is replaced. If I use the following to ensure a fixed width font and a border for my code (using the Insert HTML feature):

<p style="font-family:Courier New,Courier;border:1px solid gray">

All looks fine in the forum editor, but after I Submit this gets converted into the following:

<p style="border-bottom:gray 1px solid;">

Every few days the behavior changes. For awhile my styles are maintained, then they are replaced. Note, this only happens at the time I click Submit. Old threads are not affected. My theory is that some server out there has old forum editor code and sometimes I get an old version.

Every few days I play with this in the Sandbox forum. See this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnsandbox/thread/cb3f8405-eccc-491b-b445-800e1ad03b5b

I entered the exact same HTML repeatedly with different results every few days.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:14 PM
  • The annoying thing is that Enter has the expected effect while you are in the editor but that is removed after Submit.

This nails it.  When expectation and result are miles apart, we have a problem.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:05 PM
  • "Robert Aldwinckle on forums [MVP]" wrote in message news:fbf3c4ee-d4ca-4b71-9776-e9cf40ef4750@communitybridge.codeplex .com...

The annoying thing is that Enter has the expected effect while you are in the editor but that is removed after Submit.

Inserting multiple spaces seem to work for me in the wysiwyg editor, but editing HTML to include nonbreaking spaces may not work. Then again, I usually make use of the Community Bridge when posting, so my experience is limited.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:40 PM