Back-Up Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to back up my system using Windows Live One .  After the initial check it indicates that it cannot find my back-up drive.  However, when I go to "My Computer" the external drive I want to use is present.  I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the drive (USB) and rebooting the system with and without  the drive plugged in.

Additional information.   Just before this problem started I formatted the external drive I am trying to use.  Before I reformatted, I had used this same external drive many times as my back-up drive without any problems.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (updated nightly), Intel/Pentium (4) 3.2GHZ, 2GB Ram, 32 bit
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• The additional information is excellent, thanks.
    Since you formatted the drive, that means that the backup plan can't find the old backup and your backup plan needs to be reset so that you can start a new full backup to the "new" drive.
    See this post for how to do this:
    FAQ: How to reset backup plan settings (single PC)

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• The additional information is excellent, thanks.
    Since you formatted the drive, that means that the backup plan can't find the old backup and your backup plan needs to be reset so that you can start a new full backup to the "new" drive.
    See this post for how to do this:
    FAQ: How to reset backup plan settings (single PC)

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for pointing me the right way.  It is working like a champ now.

Cheers,

Capt Roy
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:20 PM
  • You're very welcome and thanks for confirming!
    -steve
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:54 PM