Can't see new server drive during restore RRS feed

• Question

• My main data drive recently failed completely. I placed a new drive in the server, allocated the space and gave it the same drive letter as the previous one. This drive is visible in Windows and I recreated the server folders that were marked as missing. Now I want to restore from a backup but when moving through the wizard everything is fine until I need to select a drive on the server to restore to. The data drive I just installed is not visible in the list of drives to restore to. I must be missing something simple but I've tried everything and can't get the wizard to display the new drive so I can restore from the backup.
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

• It turns out the restore utility won't restore to a drive that wasn't present during the backup. Since my drive failed and disappeared WHS was happy just backing up the remaining drive. When I finally noticed the error there had been several backups without the J: drive. Restoring from an older backup where the J: drive was present solved the problem.

• Marked as answer by dgeffs Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:06 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:06 AM

All replies

• It turns out the restore utility won't restore to a drive that wasn't present during the backup. Since my drive failed and disappeared WHS was happy just backing up the remaining drive. When I finally noticed the error there had been several backups without the J: drive. Restoring from an older backup where the J: drive was present solved the problem.

• Marked as answer by dgeffs Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:06 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:06 AM
  • You need to go to the disk management program in your home server.  To find it type in disk management in the search and it will bring up Create and format hard disk partitions. Click on that and find the hard drive that you are looking for and then right click on it. From here you will be able to add a drive letter giving you the ability to see and access your drive to restore it.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:26 AM