WHS 2011 - DLNA Troubleshooting RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from WHS v1 to 2011 (Veil) and I am now having problems with the DLNA functionality.

I have 6 drives in the server, the D drive containing the usual ServerFolders and then underneath the typical "Videos", "Music", "Pictures" etc.  I then have Drives E and F, which each contain a "Films" folder of Video_TS files in sub folders.  When connecting to the HomeServer through my DLNA-enabled Blu-Ray player (Samsung BDC6500), it only seems to find the D drive and the "Videos", "Music", "Pictures" etc, it doesn't find my "Films" folders on drives E and F.

I have all the drives set-up the same, and all the same permissions, but I can't figure this one out.  I have used Twonky and Mezzmo, and they both worked fine on WHS v1, but wanted to try out 2011 before reverting back to one of these.

Using Mezzmo and Twonky in the past, it found all the content fine, even when it was spread across the multiple drives; however now that they are stored on one defined drive each, it doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark.

• Moved by Ken Warren Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:37 AM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:36 PM

All replies

• I think you will find that WHS 2011 will not stream .vob files etc. Try reading this:

Digital Media

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Phil is correct; .vob files (what your Video_TS folder contains) can't be streamed by Windows Home Server, and can't be consumed by DLNA clients without transcoding.

There are ways to get around this, of course. You can use command line tools to concatenate all the files that make up a movie to one large file and then rename it (don't recall the extension off the top of my head) and it will often play successfully. Or you can re-encode your video to a supported codec. But the .vob files are unlikely to ever be supported directly by Microsoft.

Something else you should look at is whether you've included all your media shares in the media streaming locations Windows Home Server knows about.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:09 PM