Exchange Sync of Email Subfolders RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just switched over from my blackberry to a blackjack II and I'm starting to regret the decision.

from what I can tell you can only have new email notification for your inbox emails and not Subfolders. which seems insane to me, since Microsoft loves to show you how to make rules to sort your important emails into folders. so now I get all my spam in my inbox notifying me that there is new email and my important email from my boss, or for certain servers crashing that I have nicely sorted into folders are silently waiting for me to check my folders to see if anything is new

my suggestion would be to be able to not sync your inbox if you don't want it, since only garbage goes to my inbox because I have rules for what I actually want to read.

and to be able to set notifications on or off for folders seperately for email that I've sorted, and a bonus would be a different sound for folders that are more important.

i'm thinking I might have to go back to my old blackberry until I can figure something out because i'm missing emails because I can't check my phone every 5 mins just incase I miss an important email.

--- my temporary work around is to change my rules to also forward the email to sms

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:33 PM

Answers

• There is an application which solves the problem of unread mails from subfolders.
    Look at http://www.magica.ro/pda_pocket_checkmail.php.
    This application monitor ActiveSync events and alert the user when there are unread mails in inbox and Subfolders.
    You can test the application by downloading the demo version.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:41 AM

All replies

• This is one thing I don't like about the mail application in Windows Mobile.  There is a third party application that will allow you to set different alerts for subfolders in Outlook Mobile but I can't find a link to it currently.  After installing a good spam filter and setting up the spam features in outlook I haven't had any spamming issues. 

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:43 AM
  • if you can find the 3rd party program I would be very greatfull if you can post it. over the weekend i missed a server spewing errors because my alerts don't go into my inbox. I do have 2 spam filters running, one is Greylisting by http://www.proxmea.com/ and the other for regular spam is GFI Mail Essentials. they usually catch everything, and has taken down my daily spam from hundreds to only a couple, but the way I had my blackberry set was that if my phone made any noise at all for email it was time for me to panic hehe so I hate hearing that I have a new email on my phone hehe.

for since sms hasn't really been working reliably for me I have had to just turn off the rules for the important emails and let them go into my inbox.

if microsoft really wants to take away the business croud from blackberry they need to learn a few lessons from them on email alerting.

EDIT -- I found the program I belive you were thinking of, it's called Watchflag, it looks to do exactly what I need.
    thank you

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Phone Alarm can alert based on matching names and a few other criteria.  I don't know if this also goes for subfolders but they have a demo so it's worth a try.  I'll keep searching for that other application because I know the other software specifically mentioned subfolders.  There's also Watchflag which I found thanks to Jack Cook.

Friday, August 22, 2008 4:33 PM
  • RamiAdada,

Subfolder sync isn't the problem but the ability to be alerted when new mail arrives in the sub folder.  Without a 3rd party application you are unable to be alerted to new mail which means eventhough you are getting the mail you will need to periodically check the subfolders for the msgs which is not a productive effort.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:16 PM
  • There is an application which solves the problem of unread mails from subfolders.
    Look at http://www.magica.ro/pda_pocket_checkmail.php.
    This application monitor ActiveSync events and alert the user when there are unread mails in inbox and Subfolders.
    You can test the application by downloading the demo version.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:41 AM