none
WHS Console crashing computer RRS feed

• Question

• On a computer purchased form a local builder in January, over the past few months I've had issues with the computer degrading over time and finally having to reformat and reinstall Windows XP. In looking at the error coming up during a stress test the repairman said in all his internet searching all he could find was something related to Windows Home Server. He did not know that I was using WHS to back up this computer. I reformatted, reinstalled and the computer worked well for about 2 weeks then started randomly having blue screens related to hardware. It would also lose all external connections to internet and network (including WHS console) at random times as well and also gave me disk write failures. These are the same things that forced me to reinstall Windows already.

Backing up about 1 1/2 years. I installed WHS console on a computer I had built 3 years ago (1 1/2 years at that point). Things were working well. After one of the WHS updates it told me I needed to update to a newer console software stored on my server. After doing this, I had a lot of problems with the computer freezing up overnight and not gettting backups done. I removed the console and installed the original then ignored the warning to update. Things worked fine. I continued to use the computer this way until the motherboard failed. This brought me to the January computer purchase mentioned above. I am now using the 3 year old computer, with a new motherboard, as I again reinstall everything on the January computer. (The dealer put a new MB in the January computer because of all the hardware issues I was having. I'm still not sure that was the issue but I'm hoping it was.) At this point in time, I'm having issues with my 3 year old computer freezing at night. Looking at the error log from last night, it happened right after midnight when the backup was trying to start. I've also had the disk write failure and loss of connections issue on the 3 year old computer as well as blue screens related to hardware. Too similar to the other one to be a coincidence.

Where do I go from here? I'm planning on setting up the January computer without WHS for now. I'll need to manully back up to external drive or network folder on WHS server for now. I'll see if the other issues go away by doing this. If nothing happens for a couple months, I'll then install the console and use WHS the way it's supposed to be. I just don't know how else to approach this.

If you can offer any suggestions or advice I sure would appreciate it. Has anyone else had similar issues using WHS?

BTW, both computers are running XP Pro. 3 year old one is AMD Dual Core and January one is Intel Core 2 Duo.

Lance
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    could be your network hardware or cabling the reason (or eventually outdated drivers)?
    I have never seen what you experienced (and also not read about such issues, as far as I remember), but bad network hardware can cause troubles during the transfer. Such troubles could manifest in eating ressources, until Windows components are crashing.
    In some such cases (usually somewhere has been found a message about insufficient system resources to complete a request related to network activities) an adaption of the following lines to the client and server registry and reboot solved the problem (store the following lines with notepad in a file with extension .reg and import it, after doing so reboot).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff
    "PoolUsageMaximum"=dword:00000030

Also copying large files brings some systems to slow down and eventually stop (this is not exclusively for WHS backup, but happens also, if you copy big files locally around and shows itself in task manager by growing consumption of memory by Windows Explorer.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:55 AM
  • I recently changed my router from Linksys to Netgear. Same problem persisted so I don't think that's the issue.

Should I do the suggested registry change on all my computers?

Lance
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hi Lance,
    I would attempt the change on the server and eventually one client.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 10:07 PM