none
Where did the Desktop Experience Go?

Question

• I just installed HPC and went to install the Desktop Experience and Themes to use Aero, WMP, etc and found Themes but no Desktop Experience. 

Where did it go???

On My Server 2008x64 Enterprise, it is there and works fine.

TIA

Bill
    Monday, September 29, 2008 5:34 PM

Answers

• The operating system Windows Server 2008 Standard and Windows HPC Server 2008 are mostly identical.

The main differences are in which roles/features are available within the OS. Windows HPC Server 2008 does not contain roles which are unnecessary for computational workloads (such as the Desktop Experience pack), thereby allowing a smaller OS footprint and a reduced price.

Installing HPC Pack 2008 on Windows Server 2008 Standard will enable you to have both the Desktop-Experience pack (and dependant applications) as well as the HPC-capabilities of Windows HPC Server 2008. There should be no difference in stability between these two configurations.

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:40 AM
    Owner

All replies

• The Desktop Experience feature is not included with Windows HPC Server 2008.
    It is possible, however, to install Windows HPC Pack 2008 on other editions of Windows Server 2008 (such as Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter).

-- Greg
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:11 PM
    Owner
  • What you are saying is to install the Pack on my other Server OS and Not upgrade it first with the HPC OS then add the PACK?

I also have a problem with this and my Pocket PC.  Won't install Windows Mobile 6.1 and I think this is also related to not having Desktop Experience installed.  Once again,  it does work with my other OS.

I will do what you suggest and get back to you.

TIA

Bill
    • Edited by okaussie3 Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Can't upgrade Server 2008 to HPC version.  Did update Server 2008 with Pack.

Did not see much, if any, changes.

Went back to HPC with PACK OS.  IT seems to be more solid than above.

Guess I will just have to wait to see if the Windows Mobile problem gets resolved and they put Desktop Experience back.

TIA

Bill
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:37 PM
  • The operating system Windows Server 2008 Standard and Windows HPC Server 2008 are mostly identical.

The main differences are in which roles/features are available within the OS. Windows HPC Server 2008 does not contain roles which are unnecessary for computational workloads (such as the Desktop Experience pack), thereby allowing a smaller OS footprint and a reduced price.

Installing HPC Pack 2008 on Windows Server 2008 Standard will enable you to have both the Desktop-Experience pack (and dependant applications) as well as the HPC-capabilities of Windows HPC Server 2008. There should be no difference in stability between these two configurations.

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:40 AM
    Owner
  • I have found with the regular server that deleting files is slower and uses more cpu than the HPC version.
    When I listen to internet radio on the server it burps alot when something else is using lots of CPU.

On HPC this is not the case.  I have found the HPC version seems to run smoother with less issues than that of the plain server.

I use Real Player for my media player on HPC, due to not having Desktop Experience, but I still need to fix the problem with my Pocket PC and Windows Mobile.  Can't install it because something is missing.  Works fine on the plain server.

That is a minor issue since I can boot the plain server and sync my Pocket PC there and reboot the HPC and use it for everything else.

TIA

Bill
    Friday, October 3, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi!

I have found (like Okaussie3) that the performance of Windows Server 2008 HPC is better and not comparable with the performance of Windows Server 2008 Standard + HPC Pack. Too stability is better and with minus issues in HPC.

Maybe Okaussie3 could be use a virtualization platform for sync the pocket with Server 2008 without need of reboot.

:D
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:23 PM