December 2, Server update -- Open issues and updates RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is Ken's post from the Announcements section above. I'm going to lock the other thread. Please reply here if you have problems that you believe are related to the issues from 12/2 and 12/3 as noted in the list at the bottom of the post.
    -steve

Thank you everyone for your patience while we completed the updates this evening.  There as a minor problem with one of the updates that caused an update to a system that shouldn't have updated that caused the temporary outage.  This has been resolved with all systems coming back online now.

If you encountered any issues or problems with data loss, corruption or sync failures please let us know as soon as possible.  The outage should not have affected these areas in anyway.

Ok now we really mean it this time.  There were some additional bugs that the update uncovered that caused a cascade effect for other issues.  At this time it appears we have them all fixed. 

If you see any problems from 1:00PM PST or later please let us know! 

Thanks again!

Live Mesh Team

Open issues still:

Stuck at Terms of Use page over and over.
         To fix this problem:  click the Logout button in the top right
         When you reach the Live.com login page, stop here.
         Close all open browsers
         Open a new browser and go back to www.mesh.com
         Login normally.

M.Mesh.com  reports service unavailable.
         We are investigating the service at this time to determine any problems.  This seems to be very random so possibly just one bad server in the mix.  Will update when we have more information.

www.mesh.com reports service unavailable.
         We have seen very few of these since the last round of fixes an hour ago.  If you are still seeing problems with this please respond below and note when you tried it.
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:01 PM

All replies

• I noticed on of my Mesh folders on my desktop today.  I was surpised to see it there because I've been using the folder on this machine for several days and it seemed to be working well.  I double clicked the folder and pointed it the appropriate file folder - expecting it to sync and see my latest data.  Instead, I opened one of my imporant documents that I had updated over the last few days and it had reverted to a version of the doc that was last edited on 10/26.  A similar problem occurred a few days ago (maybe Monday)?  This happened a lot a few months ago, but I haven't had problems until recently.  I love Mesh, but I'm frustrated and don't think I can deal with the data loss any longer.

-Joey
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:59 PM
  • Check your Recycle Bin for the previous version if it was deleted by the Live Mesh sync, Joey.
    If you are seeing this behavior often, there's an internal alias to get to Ken and the Live Mesh team for further analysis.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I'm still getting the "This service isn't available right now. Please try again later" error. I haven't got the mesh client installed on my PC but I can't get to the install because of this error message. 
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:15 PM
  • When i try to use the Live Mesh app on my HTC TTYN II im geting a Cant Validate User Error when trying to sign in to it
    Any ideas on how to solve this ???

Sonic2k
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 1:00 AM
  • I'm still having the same problem - unable to log in so far.  I get this error message on the "Connect" page (This service isn't available right now. Please try again later).  Just for grins I tried the solution noted above for the Terms of Use page with my fingers crossed but didn't have any luck.

My system - IE8, Windows 7 Home, Dell XPS 1645, Windows update tells me I'm up to date.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:55 AM
  • I am also still having problems accessing the m.mesh.com from both a PC browser and the Live Mesh mobile app (running on AT&T Fuze).  From the PC, it tells me the service isn't available (and won't let me sign out) and from the phone, it tells me that the user name can't be validated.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Three of my machines have Mesh and are now reporting online. But my Windows 7 laptop does not show as remotely accessible. I have tried reinstall, but it is not accessible. I reinitialized the remote desktop service still got the yellow exclamation point.
    Dr. Nikitah Imani Associate Professor James Madison University
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I also can't log on on my AT&T Tilt mobile.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:53 PM
  • When I open the Live Mesh mobile app on my HTC Touch Pro (WM 6.1), I receive the following error:

• Connection to Live Mesh failed
      Unable to validate the user on Live Mesh. Please check your connection settings and retry, or Cancel to exit.

I'm using the correct name and password (I promise).  This is as far as I can get.  I've been trying for a few days, my most recent attempt was just now: 4:34 PM CT, Saturday, Dec. 5.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:35 PM

• ~ same here on my htc Touch

Unable to validate the user on Live Mesh. Please check your connection settings and Retry, or Cancel to exit.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:22 PM

Unable to validate the user on Live Mesh. Please check your connection settings and Retry, or Cancel to exit.
    I'm having the same trouble when trying to connect my iPAQ. The MESH has been down for a few days now; the longest I've known.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:59 PM

I'm having the same trouble when trying to connect my iPAQ. The MESH has been down for a few days now; the longest I've known.

also having the same issues HTC TTYN II WM6.1
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Just posting a Monday update to say that I have not heard anything new regarding the broken m.mesh.com and mobile client problem which is clearly ongoing.
    -steve
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for the update, hopefully they'll have it resolved soon.
    MVP-Mobile Devices
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Is there any possibility at all that this outage caused my Mesh to stop starting up? Seems like a far reached possibility, but I just wanted to check.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:56 AM

Hi All ~ I am up and running now ... \0/ ...
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:36 AM
  • I am still getting "The service isn't available right now" for like the past week?

Win7 RC1 & Vista

Running 2 accounts (neither works)

I can remote to my different devices, just cant do anything online on mesh.com (add devices / Live Desktop)
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Is there any possibility at all that this outage caused my Mesh to stop starting up? Seems like a far reached possibility, but I just wanted to check.

Don't think so, but it may be a side effect. Have you rebooted the PC? If that doesn't fix it, try the "hammer" approach and uninstall/reinstall Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Is this accessing the web site? What is the condition of the client on the PCs?
    -steve
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:51 PM

Don't think so, but it may be a side effect. Have you rebooted the PC? If that doesn't fix it, try the "hammer" approach and uninstall/reinstall Live Mesh.
    -steve

I'm still unable to login with either PC.  I'm open to the hammer.  Where do I find the Mesh install package?  Win 7 Home, etc.  Thanks
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:01 AM
  • You reinstall from www.mesh.com - select the correct version 32 bit or 64 bit. It won't mention Windows 7, but it works fine.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.  My situation is resolved.  I continued to see the "This service isn't available right now. Please try again later" message until I deleted my Mesh profile and created a new one.  I seem to be working as expected right now.
    Thanks again,
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.  My situation is resolved.  I continued to see the "This service isn't available right now. Please try again later" message until I deleted my Mesh profile and created a new one.  I seem to be working as expected right now.
    Thanks again,

Glad to read all is well.
    -steve
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:26 PM
  • My phone was able to join my mesh today as well, no special steps needed, it "just worked".  Thanks for this awseome service, Microsoft!  Keep evolving!
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:10 AM
  • I am still getting "The service isn't available right now" for like the past week?

Win7 RC1 & Vista

Running 2 accounts (neither works)

I can remote to my different devices, just cant do anything online on mesh.com (add devices / Live Desktop)

I'm still not getting mesh to work, it used to work like a dream, what happened?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:03 PM

• I'm still not getting mesh to work, it used to work like a dream, what happened?

Details? I suggest starting a new thread and explaining what you are encountering, provide some background and describe your OS and environment.
    -steve
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:41 PM
  • I remembered after a week of getting this error that I've got 2 Live accounts and I'd used the other one to set up Mesh. So now I have one account which works and one which still gives the error message. I don't know if the fact that I'm logged into Messenger using one of the accounts causes a problem with the other one - I've noticed in the past that there seems to be some subtle communication going on between Messenger and my browser regarding Live account logins.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:02 PM
  • No, there is no relationship between the Messenger signin and the Live Mesh client sign in (or sign in on the Live Desktop).
    -steve
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Still stuck at Terms of Service Page 12/26/09
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Still stuck at Terms of Service Page 12/26/09

New issue, same problem, spwalsh: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/731d78b4-c519-49eb-8e9d-5d87082ffdd7

Looks like a new server issue cropped up on 12/25.
    -steve
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I'm still having the same problem - can't get beyond the "Review and accept agreements" page.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 5:18 PM
  • I'm still having the same problem - can't get beyond the "Review and accept agreements" page.
    See this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/731d78b4-c519-49eb-8e9d-5d87082ffdd7

I'm locking this one as the issues that cropped up on 12/25, though similar, are not part of the original problem.
    -steve

Sunday, December 27, 2009 11:56 PM