Updating WHS while doing a backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed yestered.  I've got my initial backup going and thought, hey, I'll do a update on the server while it is doing a back up together.  Killing 2 birds at the same time.

I started the update feature using the console on my client.  WHS downloaded IE7 and had a failed install.  During that download, I wanted to look at other things on my console but I'm not able to click OK to close out the "Window Homer Server Settings" screen to add more users. 

I've closed the console and logged back into WHS, still the windows home server settings screen is still there.  How can i get this screen to close?  I hope no reboot is in order.

If I do a re-boot, will it kill my current back up and have to start over again, or will it pick up where it was when the process got terminated.

Any ideas?

-Troy

Sunday, May 20, 2007 5:51 PM

Answers

• Troy, when you run the console from a client PC, it actually uses remote desktop to run the console on the WHS. In this case, installing Internet Explorer 7 requires you to agree to a EULA. So what's happened is that the EULA dialog has popped up behind the console. It's modal, so you can't do anything in the console, only close it. Closing it disconnects you from that RDP session, but leaves everything running. So you seem kind of stuck.

What you can try is to use Remote Desktop to connect directly to WHS. Then you can use Terminal Services Manager to shut down the disconnected session, which will kill the update process. Then install the updates manually, so you can agree to the EULA.

Failing that, you should wait for the backup to finish. If you reboot WHS halfway through, you'll have to start from the beginning.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 12:08 AM

All replies

• Troy, when you run the console from a client PC, it actually uses remote desktop to run the console on the WHS. In this case, installing Internet Explorer 7 requires you to agree to a EULA. So what's happened is that the EULA dialog has popped up behind the console. It's modal, so you can't do anything in the console, only close it. Closing it disconnects you from that RDP session, but leaves everything running. So you seem kind of stuck.

What you can try is to use Remote Desktop to connect directly to WHS. Then you can use Terminal Services Manager to shut down the disconnected session, which will kill the update process. Then install the updates manually, so you can agree to the EULA.

Failing that, you should wait for the backup to finish. If you reboot WHS halfway through, you'll have to start from the beginning.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Please note that this bug is fixed post CTP. The install window no longer hides behind the console.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 4:36 AM
  • I just tried running the update from a client/WHS console connection on RC1. I got the EULA no problem, but I think the IE7 dialogues that come up later in the install are still popping up behind the console. I had to log in locally to the WHS and rerun the updates to clear everything.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:28 PM
  •  Shan Lee wrote:
    I just tried running the update from a client/WHS console connection on RC1. I got the EULA no problem, but I think the IE7 dialogues that come up later in the install are still popping up behind the console. I had to log in locally to the WHS and rerun the updates to clear everything.

I think the concept of WHS running headless is great but, in reality, it's going to need a kvm or monitor, sometimes. That's just the way it is.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:00 PM