Windows validation not working, cause (or effect) of many other issues. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and yesterday had a myriad of issues pop up. These include: Control Panel is blank, i.e. no icons are showing up and the window disappears after being open for a few seconds; Windows Update will not open...the icon is in the system tray, and it alerts me that I have updates to install, but when I double-click it will not open; and lastly, the validation service will not run.

I have attempted to restart the Software Licensing service (which, although labeled for automatic startup isn't started), and either receive Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable, or the service will start and then turn itself off again seconds later.

I have also attempted to run chkdsk (won't run on C:, when I 'schedule' it to run it doesn't) as well as do a System Restore (won't restore, says to run chkdsk first). I am also having issues with data integrity with McAfee.

My copy of Vista is OEM from Dell, laptop purchased 3 months ago.

I'm thinking I might have some kind of nasty bug, but I thought I'd try here first, as McAfee isn't finding anything.

When I attempted to copy the results from the Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool I received another error: 0x80070002.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Rebelmusic,

Unfortunatly, I agree with your assessment of the issue. It does sound like a Malware Infection. 
    Note: It's a good idea to scan your computer with more then one Anti-Virus program because no one program can catch all the Malware out there. 

The key symptoms that suggest a Malware Infection are:

a) Automatic Update won't work.
    There are Worms known to turn off Automatic Updates so Vista can't get the patch that might get rid of the worm.

b) System Restore won't work.
    There are some Malware that delete all the system restore points. This is so Vista can't restore to a point before the malware infection.

c) When you try to start the Soaftware Licensing Service, it turns off again like something is activly trying to keep it turned off.

All of these togeather does stronly suggest an infection, but I am not an expert in that area. I recommend contacting PC Safety. They are a Microsoft group that is trained to provide assistance with Malware infections.

PC Safety:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:15 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Rebelmusic,

Unfortunatly, I agree with your assessment of the issue. It does sound like a Malware Infection. 
    Note: It's a good idea to scan your computer with more then one Anti-Virus program because no one program can catch all the Malware out there. 

The key symptoms that suggest a Malware Infection are:

a) Automatic Update won't work.
    There are Worms known to turn off Automatic Updates so Vista can't get the patch that might get rid of the worm.

b) System Restore won't work.
    There are some Malware that delete all the system restore points. This is so Vista can't restore to a point before the malware infection.

c) When you try to start the Soaftware Licensing Service, it turns off again like something is activly trying to keep it turned off.

All of these togeather does stronly suggest an infection, but I am not an expert in that area. I recommend contacting PC Safety. They are a Microsoft group that is trained to provide assistance with Malware infections.

PC Safety:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:15 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Thanks Darin.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:17 AM
  • My pleasure Rebelmusic and good luck.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:02 PM