I don't want you knocking on my door every two days RRS feed

• General discussion

• Every two days, I am being asked to install Windows Genuine Advantage. I have a legal windows operating system, and I am perfectly happy in that knowledge. I don't care what you think or know about it. I don't want you looking into my computer, and no amount of insisting is going to change that. All you are doing now is making me more and more annoyed, and it will end with me blocking all updates. Why can't you guys learn?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:03 PM

All replies

• I completely agree with johdel.  I am so utterly annoyed by this intrusive "update" that in no way benefits me the user and is only intended to try to make Microsoft more money.  My software is valid -- in fact, a Microsoft employee bought it for me from the company store.  Your next update needs to remove this or I am finally going to buy the Mac like I've been threatening to do forever because of all of the performance problems with Microsoft and all of the annoying tricks it pulls like this!
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Kevin Kelly,

Please wait until the next Mac operating system (Leopard, 10.5) comes out (it was delayed until October 2007 so that Apple developers could finish working on the iPhone) before you buy a Mac or else you will have to pay for the new OS to get it.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:54 PM
  • I could not agree more re Johdel's complaint.  I have valid MS software and I resent your wanting to check on me and trying to gain more control of my PC.  Your special offers are of no interest to me, I just want you to go away and leave me get some work done.  This is just one more reason to add to my list of 'why I hate Microsoft' and root for your competition.  God, you must hate your users - or - you are complete idiots.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I totally agree with all of you, I'm truly annoyed that this update( windows genuine advantage tool) keeps popping up every time I start up my computer. I have a Pc with XP preinstalled and I don't see why Microsoft keeps nagging customers in this way, and why should I let you snoop around my PC anyway?

I haven't installed this update and I won't install it, you can keep nagging me with your little update icon all you want. I had so many problems with XP being an altogether unstable system plus that you now also stop all support and updates for users having service pack 1 just shows how much you care about the people that made you rich. I have SP2 but thats all I'm ever gonna install from you again.

I for one after using windows forever am now convinced that if i need to buy a new PC it certainly wont be MS Vista or any other *** you come up with in future. I honestly consider switching to Mac next time, and I guess it would be the best for everyone, to get some peace in using their PCs. At least you pay a lot of money and your PC is truly YOURS for a change. Disgraceful is the word that comes to mind, when you think about MS practices. i won't be buying anything of MS ever again, not that you care filthy rich as you are, and the monopoly you hold (you thinkWink

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:07 AM
  • I agree with you all as well.  I'm not sure if Microsoft will hear us speaking or not - the  customer service people are very good at saying "I'm sorry you're having a problem today" but that's about all they seem to hear.  I get tired of having to give them my life's history just to answer a simple question (such as, "Can I get critical updates without installing the WGAN software"... apparently not!).  I did not want the WGAN software on my computer.  I know my software is legitimate.  I agree that checking once is fine, but they have no business checking over and over again.  I just spent almost three hours and three phone calls to get my updates to work and the bottom line was he had me install the program to get the updates to work, telling me we could uninstall it afterward.  Guess what... gee... "I guess we can't uninstall it... but don't worry about it."  I have been thinking about a MAC for my next computer and this experience has made the final decision for me.  I wonder if MS has a clue how many customers are lost because of this type of intrusive behavior?  It is clear that this update is critical to no-one but Microsoft.  After three hours of aggravation, thanks for nothing but a headache, Microsoft!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:27 AM
  • The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program and Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program are part of Microsoft’s on-going effort to protect its customers and partners from counterfeit software and to increase customer awareness of the value of genuine Microsoft software.

Learn more here: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:37 AM
  • The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program and Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program are part of Microsoft’s on-going effort to squeeze every last drop of money out of their customers.

Go for it, I do love capitalism. Big Smile

Just know that I won't be back if it keeps up. Never been a Mac fan, but at least they don't continually attempt to install spyware onto my computer.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:40 PM
  •  Falcon wrote:

The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program and Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) program are part of Microsoft’s on-going effort to squeeze every last drop of money out of their customers.  >snip<

Or, you could say that these programs are part of Microsoft's ongoing effort to make each and every Windows and Office user a valued Microsoft customer.  After all, if the person using your product never paid for the product, can they really be called "customers?"

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I too agree with johdel, it is microsoft doing big brother, the aren't making legitimate user more aware of how valuable the software is, just harrassing them and creating argo. The hackers are writing around thier code as fast as they are writing it and we the genuine users are the ones wearing frustration by trying to do the right thing.

If they keep harassing their legit clients then how long before we move, there are other OS and every day (or two days) they are looking more atractive.

Even the biggest can fall if it undermines its base and we the legitimate users are that base, time for a rethink Microsoft WGA doesn't work.

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:25 AM
  • Friday, June 22, 2007 10:28 PM