Live one care activation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, new to this process. I'm having problems with the activation process. I enter my product key and keep getting an error msg. 7104?  Also everytime I try to log in it seems to not recognize my password{ I've changed it twice in as many days..}  Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:18 AM

Answers

•  

When you try to activate Windows Live OneCare, you receive the following error message:
    Cannot Complete Request:
    Your token cannot be used for this service.
    Try using a different token, or choose another service.
    If you get this message more than once, report it as a recurring problem.

This problem occurs if you have the beta version of Windows Live OneCare installed. However, you try to activate it by using a retail product key that is used for the retail version of Windows Live OneCare.

To fix this

Copy paste this link to the address bar of your Internet Explorer browser

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=81699

Save the file OneCareCleanUp.exe, before running it.
    If you're running Windows Vista, right click on the file, choose run as administrator.
    That will uninstall OneCare from your system.
    Alternatively you can uninstall OneCare from your add/remove programs in the control panel.

Then Install the retail version of OneCare through

Choose to run the file. Follow the instructions. And then try actvating again.

The ideal password for onecare activation is up to 8 character long.

Wenskie

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:16 AM

All replies

•  

When you try to activate Windows Live OneCare, you receive the following error message:
    Cannot Complete Request:
    Your token cannot be used for this service.
    Try using a different token, or choose another service.
    If you get this message more than once, report it as a recurring problem.

This problem occurs if you have the beta version of Windows Live OneCare installed. However, you try to activate it by using a retail product key that is used for the retail version of Windows Live OneCare.

To fix this

Copy paste this link to the address bar of your Internet Explorer browser

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=81699

Save the file OneCareCleanUp.exe, before running it.
    If you're running Windows Vista, right click on the file, choose run as administrator.
    That will uninstall OneCare from your system.
    Alternatively you can uninstall OneCare from your add/remove programs in the control panel.

Then Install the retail version of OneCare through

Choose to run the file. Follow the instructions. And then try actvating again.

The ideal password for onecare activation is up to 8 character long.

Wenskie

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:16 AM
  • I'll add two things.

1. The link for the retail version is currently valid. It may change. Download the released version from http://onecare.live.com - install as a trial and activate with the retail key or payment information.

2. If you are still unable to activate, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Yes..I get that exact msg. I followed your process ( thank you very much for making it so detailed for a novice like me ) Did the cleanup and reinstalled. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. Although when I went to activate it, it dawned on me that the One Care activation site was actually a U.K. site...now wondering if that could be the issue?   Computer was obviously manufactured there.  I'm open to any other suggestions.....it's taking the joy out of getting a new computer.   Many thanks for your help

Suz

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Interesting development.

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options.

On the General tab click the Languages button.

If the language shown is English-UK and you are in another country where OneCare is available for sale, change the language to that country by selecting Add, finding the language country combination in the list and selecting it. Once it has been added, remove English-UK from the list using the remove button.

See if that resolves it for you.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Thank you for your additional help I had actually tried support before, but couldn't get anywhere without a product id number. Microsoft has enough support out there, that I'm hopefull for some resolution.

Many thanks,

Suz

Friday, April 4, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Just went and tried it..your the hero for the day!!   It seemed to work..it accepted the product key no error msg.  awesome.  Unfortunately I already sent a support request .Can I just reply to their e-mail and tell them it appears to be resolved?

More thanks Suz

Friday, April 4, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Yes, you can reply to the tech when you receive the email and explain what the solution was. They will be happy to document the close in the support case.

If you ignore the email, they will either try contacting you again or will close the case as a "no response."

You're welcome and thanks for confirming the solution.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 1:23 PM