Did Microsoft violate spyware and consumer protection laws? RRS feed

• Question

• Will the courts be subject to the same selective 'editing'  as Microsofft imposes on this forum.?

http://internetandclassactionlaw.blogspot.com/2006/06/did-microsoft-violate-spyware-and.html

A class action lawsuit was filed against Microsoft for the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) anti-piracy program. A copy of the lawsuit is available here

http://www.collinslaw.com/microsoft_complaint.pdf

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:28 PM

Answers

• Gus,

Oh, now, there's a big surprise, Shyster lawyers suing Microsoft.  LOL

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:21 PM

All replies

• Gus,

Oh, now, there's a big surprise, Shyster lawyers suing Microsoft.  LOL

Friday, June 30, 2006 3:21 PM
  • It will be interesting to see if any corporations affected by the wga debacle join the big surprise. 
    Friday, June 30, 2006 4:08 PM
  • DAN:

IT was no surprise to me and probably M* either. But the "shyster" lawyers are the same ones that won the SONY rootcase.

It seems that after all this M* has not chosen to listen and may I suggest that M* finally starts over and tells us everything from the get-go! Have any agreement in plain understandable ENGLISH and make sure there are no unclear terms in it.It will take much time to repair the trust again or M* can just keep thinking along the same terms and as they lose many more it may dawn on them but will be too late.

AND above all tell us up front is it a lease or do we really own the software with no "later I can do this or that"

Friday, June 30, 2006 4:24 PM
  • Dan

How about this? ( Sounds like the wga team has been busy )

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/30/microsoft_wga_snafu/

And you really, really don't want to inform a client like Proctor and Gamble that it is pirating code; and, my sources insist, that's exactly what the beta code has been doing.

The exact cause of the cockup isn't clear, but it seems that the software was supposed to ignore Windows applications with corporate licence numbers. The assumption was that all Microsoft code on P&G hardware was installed by the IT department, using the corporate licence.

Well, apparently not. Individual users have bought their own copies and installed it themselves. And then, somehow, the WGA code looked for the corporate licence, didn't find it, and screamed blue murder: "Thieves! Pirates! Rascals!" - and P&G seems not to be amused.

When the rumour started spreading, users got together to share outrage. It quickly became apparent that some of them weren't at P&G and instead of having corporate rank, were quoting military rank. Yes; the USAF has also been tagged, according to sources, as a corporate pirate.

Friday, June 30, 2006 4:32 PM
  • Gus19,

The author of this "article" should be ashamed of his article, unless he is the soccer (aka "futbol") reporter filling in on the technology beat while the regular guy is on holiday.

Standard bash journalism tactic #1:  Sensationalist reporting in Friday's issue after everyone at the bashee has gone home for the weekend.  At least he admits it.

Standard bash journalism tactic #2:  Report unsubstantiated rumor, but act like you are not by calling it rumor.

Standard bash journalism tactic #3:  Qualify everything so that you "cover your arse."  Like, "My sources", "I'm told", "remains rumor", "my sources insist", "if this turns out to be true."  This must be the Register's special supermarket checkout tabloid edition.

Now to the, ahem, "content" of this "article."

1.  He does not understand the difference between what WGA does and what the Noifications tool does.

2.  He does not understand that Office updates initially request that the CD be inserted, but if no CD, you are taken to much larger updates files that do not need the CD.  MS plainly posts that using the CD is a bandwidth saving technique and not a software piracy prevention technique.

3.  Where does he get the idea that more than half of the world's PC are notebooks mostly without optical drives?  It is true that this past year more notebooks were sold than desktops, but what about the installed base?  This guy couldn't spell fact checking if his life depended upon it.

4.  His whole schtick is based on Notifications calling P&G corporate computers illegal, yet he reports that the problem is with people who have installed their own software,and does not once say that P&G company software is declared nongenuine.  I hope not on company computers, because in many of the biggest corps, that is cause for dismissal!!!

5.  The reference to the US military as a way to bolster the credibility of his so-called info (which is really someone telling him what people are posting on message boards----now there's irrefutable, scientific evidence.... NOT) is equally laughable.  I can't begin to tell you from experience how much the typical DoD or uniformed servicemember does NOT know about software licensing.  The prevailing individual attitude is, we're the US gov't. and we can run any software we want, pirated or not.  Despite GAO investigations and voluminous DoD and other federal regulations intended to put a halt to it, where the rubber meets the road, it's anything-goes.  And did he ever bother to actually state exactly what problems the supposed USAF people are having?

This guy should be arrested for impersonating a journalist.

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:14 PM
  • Since MS "fixed" the problems in pre-release WGA with its 6/28/2006 update, its likely that the Washington lawsuit will have a short life.

According to MS Press (published prior to this month's WGA releases)...
    "The Washington Computer Spyware Act prohibits the installation of computer software that prevents the reasonable efforts of the owner or operator to block the installation, and prohibits intentional misrepresentation of the extent to which such software is required for security or privacy. Software that collects and transmits information or changes settings on a computer without the owner’s permission is also outlawed."

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jan06/01-25McKennaSpywarePR.mspx

There is, of course, nothing in the law requiring that the alleged spyware be malicious.

roger

Friday, June 30, 2006 7:58 PM