none
Is there anything on the old forums you miss on the new platform? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  With the new forums release (4/7), is there anything on the old forums you miss on the new platform?
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Monday, April 7, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• Little nit picky thing -  I like the Stars to denote someone's rating over the Medals iconography.  The medals look like Military medals, where a Gold Star is a more generic symbol dating back to early school years when your teacher used to put Gold Stars on your homework.  5 Star Rating is also a commonly used term
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:12 AM
  • Can a General Discussion thread be locked?  Does the icon change from Green to some other color when it is locked?

I can of miss the "Announcement" posts which were clearly differentiated from a Question - where with the new platform the Question and General Discussion thread types seem to have a little overlap.  Where in the past, with an Announcement, somebody wasnt' really looking to have a discussion.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:17 AM

• T. Headrick said:

Can a General Discussion thread be locked?  Does the icon change from Green to some other color when it is locked?

I've created a locked thread to show you.
    http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/thread/ed2bae8b-c026-493a-9a46-546d4c8cafb0

When you see it in the thread list you should notice 2 columns for icons the one on the right which all threads have is the thread type with some state the possible graphics are:

• General Discussion
    • Question
    • Question that has an answer (green)
    • Question with a proposed answer (blue)

The left column can contain one of:

• Sticky thread (magnet)
    • Locked thread (lock)
    • Helpful (star)

If a thread has a combination of these we only show one graphic where locked has precendence over sticky and sticky has precendence over helpful.

T. Headrick said:

I can of miss the "Announcement" posts which were clearly differentiated from a Question - where with the new platform the Question and General Discussion thread types seem to have a little overlap.  Where in the past, with an Announcement, somebody wasnt' really looking to have a discussion.

We do have "Announcement"s and they show up at the top above all the threads, they are handled quite differently than the old system.  Only moderators can post them.

We have plans for some new types in the future as well such as a bug reporting type.

T. Headrick said:

Little nit picky thing -  I like the Stars to denote someone's rating over the Medals iconography.  The medals look like Military medals, where a Gold Star is a more generic symbol dating back to early school years when your teacher used to put Gold Stars on your homework.  5 Star Rating is also a commonly used term

I think we decided the stars were too similar to Helpful stars and were confusing some people. 

I hope this is helpul.

Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:48 AM
  • I missed one iicon which could show up,  which is "Has code",
    See this post http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/thread/f178649c-6b94-42a0-9200-5e51cc09cbaa

Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Sam, we went with medals because the stars would end up being right next to the content rating control when the avatar eventually shows up in the library. Picture the forums masthead at the top of this page http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/52f3sw5c.aspx See the problem? Admittedly, I'm sure there's a better fix, but until we think of what to do about the library conflict, we wanted something other than stars. There are actually studies by the Office team that suggest that a thumbs up / thumbs down approach might be better for content. That might be the way to go for the library.

Chris Slemp, Program Manager, MSDN and TechNet
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:55 PM
  • In the old forum, if we are a Microsoft MVP, it was noted below our pubic name and the 5 stars.

Can we get this or better yet, the Microsoft MVP logo added below our picture?

Cheers, Karl - Microsoft MVP, Code Project MVP - http://karlshifflett.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Me no likely the medal thingies. Looks chinzy.
    I think that 'thumbs up' will be more difficult to discern what they are meant to be/convey.

Even five plain round circles(balls) -Green, would be better than the medal thingies...
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:19 AM
  • I kind of miss the smileys...
    I can't comment on moderator functionality yet, but reading and posting seems to work well enough so far.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Cute pop-up editor, BTW.

I miss a "next" and "previous" thread buttons or links. If I'm reading a set of threads (hopefully, the set that just appeared in a sorted or filtered list), then I don't want to have to go back to the list in order to read the next one in the list.

John Saunders
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:03 PM
  • I miss some of the forums that have apparently been left behind or somehow divided by language.  When I view my threads, I see that I have some in the C# language forum, though I've never been to that forum before.

Specifically, the Windows Forms General forum was very active and I enjoyed being able to work on problems in both C# and VB -- that's really how I learned C# at all, and how I keep up with it, since my work is currently almost entirely VB.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 2:23 AM
  • I miss the combo box navigating page which used to be there in the old forum where you could goto any specified MSDN fourm in the combo-box..
    Now suppose I am in "Visual C++ General forum" and I want to move to "Visual C# General", I would have to goto " Forums Home", search my "Visual C#" forum from amongst the list and then click on it. It is cumbersome and takes time too..
    Hope you guys fix this.
    Always mark the post that helped you as "Answer". That helps future users to locate answers quickly.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 8:37 AM
  • I miss being able to search for posts by a user in a sub-forum by simply typing their name in the search box.

There seems to be no way to search for posts by a user in a particular forum anymore.

Cheers -- Peter

http://www.peterRitchie.com/blog
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:16 PM