none
Problem with line break when using Safari or Google Chrome RRS feed

Answers

• The forums editor removes (or reduces) blank lines, white space, indenting, etc., after you click Submit. I think this is what you are referring to. I have experienced this for years. I see this using IE so I think it's independent of the browser. When I insert code I use the HTML editor to add <br /> tags so my blank lines are retained.

When you press Enter in the forum editor, you create a new paragraph, where <p> and </p> tags delimit the paragraphs in the HTML. Paragraphs seem to be separated by one half line. If I use the HTML editor to replace the </p> and <p> tag pair with two <br /> tags, I get a full line between. This is not a good solution, but it is a workaround where you believe whitespace is important.

For example, when I composed this reply, I pressed Enter to separate the first and second paragraphs. There is a full blank line between them now, but after I press Submit, there will be one half line. However, I will use the HTML editor to insert two <br /> tags between the second and third paragraphs (in place of the </p><p> pair). The spacing looks the same now in the editor, but after I press Submit, there will be a full line between the last two paragraphs. You can play with this in the Sandbox forum if you want to use this.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:55 PM

All replies

• I am using Google Chrome and I am not sure what problem do you mean. Can you please clarify?

Also, there was a recent thread by Kalman about line breaks in this forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Naomi, If you read my original post, do you see an empty line between "... dropped." and "Anybody ...".

AMB

Some guidelines for posting questions...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:48 PM
  • The forums editor removes (or reduces) blank lines, white space, indenting, etc., after you click Submit. I think this is what you are referring to. I have experienced this for years. I see this using IE so I think it's independent of the browser. When I insert code I use the HTML editor to add <br /> tags so my blank lines are retained.

When you press Enter in the forum editor, you create a new paragraph, where <p> and </p> tags delimit the paragraphs in the HTML. Paragraphs seem to be separated by one half line. If I use the HTML editor to replace the </p> and <p> tag pair with two <br /> tags, I get a full line between. This is not a good solution, but it is a workaround where you believe whitespace is important.

For example, when I composed this reply, I pressed Enter to separate the first and second paragraphs. There is a full blank line between them now, but after I press Submit, there will be one half line. However, I will use the HTML editor to insert two <br /> tags between the second and third paragraphs (in place of the </p><p> pair). The spacing looks the same now in the editor, but after I press Submit, there will be a full line between the last two paragraphs. You can play with this in the Sandbox forum if you want to use this.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:55 PM
  • That is exactly what I am experiencing, but a little bit more. "I am pressing [return] twice here" No matter how many times I press "Enter" you will continue seeing just one big paragraph.

AMB

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:05 PM
  • To make it more difficult, if I click "Edit" now I get an HTML thinging and can see what you mean.

This is painful but it works.
    Thanks, Richard!

AMB

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:09 PM
  • BTW, it does not occur if I use IE to write the content.

AMB

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:12 PM
  • I do not see an empty line. Anybody seems to be in the same paragraph as dropped. 

Is it the problem you're referring to?

(Is it the problem should be in the next line and then I put a few extra lines between last line and this one).

Hmm, all my extra line breaks got eaten.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:17 PM
  • That is exactly my problem, no matter how many times I press "return", you will see just one paragraph. <pressed return 5 times> but you will see it as one paragraph.

If I use what Richard suggested, like I did before this paragraph, then no problem. The thing is that I am not familiar with HTML and even if I am it is painful to be forced to do it.

AMB

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Now I am back to my desk where I use IE9, and you can see there is no issue when I create a new post. The problem is when I have to use the iPad and since there no IE App for iPad, then I have to stick to Safary or Google Chrome.

Anyway, I hope this issue (two issues line break and getting HTML content when editing) can be solve.

Thanks Naomi and Richard!

AMB

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:52 PM
  •  
    The forums editor removes (or reduces) blank lines, white space, indenting, etc., after you click Submit. I think this is what you are referring to. I have experienced this for years. I see this using IE so I think it's independent of the browser. When I insert code I use the HTML editor to add <br /> tags so my blank lines are retained.

Note that if you create posts in Internet Explorer, you can press Shift+Enter to create a <br /> element.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:30 PM
  • I think Hunchback has reported a new issue I have not see brought up before. The issue I referred to (confirmed by Naomi) is that blank lines are removed when you click Submit to save a post. I think Hunchback is reporting that carriage returns are completely removed, so that two paragraphs are combined into one. However, this doesn't happen in IE, so I cannot confirm. Perhaps this only happens in Chrome or Safari. Although inserting <br> tags in the HTML editor is a workaround, that is not a nice solution.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I think Hunchback has reported a new issue I have not see brought up before.
    The issue I referred to (confirmed by Naomi) is that blank lines are removed
    when you click Submit to save a post. I think Hunchback is reporting that
    carriage returns are completely removed, so that two paragraphs are combined
    into one. However, this doesn't happen in IE, so I cannot confirm. Perhaps
    this only happens in Chrome or Safari. Although inserting <br> tags in the
    HTML editor is a workaround, that is not a nice solution.

For what it's worth, in Firefox, <p></p> elements are never added; you just get <br /> when you press Enter. Maybe Chrome and Safari does something similar. Of course, that doesn't explain why returns and line breaks are removed completely.

However, my point was that you don't need to edit the HTML if you are using Internet Explorer, because it will add <br /> if you press Shift+Enter.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:50 PM