Remote Backups/ Non Lan connected Machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I'm looking to purchase WHS, but not all my machines are on the same lan. Three of the machines are in a different room in the same building. Will WHS let me still backup these computers over an internet connection? And if it won't do it natively, can I achive the same effect with something like Hamachi or a VPN? Any help is greatly apreciated!

-Q
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:38 PM

Answers

• WHS doesnt support backups outside of your LAN.

There are some "workable" solutions that have been mentioned previously on the forums - do a search and you should be able to find an answer, although you should always do your "first" remote backup actually on your LAN otherwise you might be online for a very long time!

Andrew

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:43 PM
  • In your case, probably all of the machines are really on the same "LAN", i.e. there's wire that can be traced from one location to the other without leaving the building. However, Windows Home Server is designed for the typical home environment, where the network hasn't been segmented, there's only one router, and all PCs are on the same subnet. It's possible to get it working in more complex networking environments, but it's unsupported.

If you decide to go with the VPN solution, you should be aware that the backups may work fine, and you may not even have a significant performance problem in your environment. Bare metal restores using the Home Computer Restore CD will absolutely not work at all over a VPN connection, though.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:17 PM

All replies

• WHS doesnt support backups outside of your LAN.

There are some "workable" solutions that have been mentioned previously on the forums - do a search and you should be able to find an answer, although you should always do your "first" remote backup actually on your LAN otherwise you might be online for a very long time!

Andrew

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:43 PM
  • In your case, probably all of the machines are really on the same "LAN", i.e. there's wire that can be traced from one location to the other without leaving the building. However, Windows Home Server is designed for the typical home environment, where the network hasn't been segmented, there's only one router, and all PCs are on the same subnet. It's possible to get it working in more complex networking environments, but it's unsupported.

If you decide to go with the VPN solution, you should be aware that the backups may work fine, and you may not even have a significant performance problem in your environment. Bare metal restores using the Home Computer Restore CD will absolutely not work at all over a VPN connection, though.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:17 PM
  • I looked a little for fourm answers, but didn't find any. I guess I should have looked a little deeper. Thanks for your imput guys. Looks like I may need to try and get all the computers on the same network in order for WHS to work the best. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Hi Andrew, I'm also looking to see how people did this (been searching for a while and found this string).  Any key words I should be looking for or specific strings you could point out?

thanks
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:38 AM
  • How about searching for VPN backup?
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:46 AM